Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Keystuck in the ignition and won't turn off

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rustbucket racing, Dec 31, 2004.

1. rustbucket racing

rustbucket racing Registered Member

hello to all,

I have a problem that I hope the board can help me with. I have a 1975 1/2 ton 4x4 with a m/t. When I first got the truck it had a broken tilt steering column so I installed a solid column out of a a/t truck. This has worked fine for the last year+.

Not too long ago I went out and started it to let it run for a little bit (doesn't get used all the time.) When I went out to turn it off, I couldn't. The key was stuck in the run position. I had to kill it with the clutch and disconnect the battery to turn of the accesories. It will still start by turning it to the start position. The key just willl not go back past the run position to off or acc.

How do I fix it? If anyone has any suggestions or needs more info please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

P.S. Happy New Year to all:xmas:

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

are you sure the inside of the column is not in the drive postion or some thing of that nature

3. rustbucket racing

I thought of that but if it was in drive it would still turn off but would not allow you to take out the key.:)

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Same problem on my 84. The key is still stuck n there and its been a few years since it happened. When it first happened I couldnt get it to turn off and I panic'd, I end'd up put'n some weight into it and twisted the hell outta it. It turns on and off now but the key hasn't come out since. doh

Good luck.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

lol

only problem i come across with gm locks is that they wear out and dont need the key anymore,
    well until you turn the cylinder back to lock position

then youre screwed

unless you have the key with you

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is the clutch depress switch hooked up?On some modells you can't turn it right of and take the key out without depressing the clutch.

7. rustbucket racing

The column is off a a/t truck so that would not be a issue. I was thinking that the problem maybe in the accuator rod that goes to the actual ignition switch. It will go to start but not return. Maybe it is bent or catching on some thing.

It is good to see other people have the same issue. I will post a solution as soon as I get one.:D

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

My 91 just did the same thing about 2 months ago, it was a bad ignition cylinder. I had to pull the steering wheel off and replace the key cylinder.

The cylinder is available at most parts houses and is cheap too.

9. rustbucket racing

option#1

I will try that. I just don't really want to have to put in a new column if at all possible.

Thanks,

Jay