Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Khaki or Olive drab?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Sep 4, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I've narrowed it down to these two colors for my '89 K5. My diff covers, tie rod, steering box etc. are all "cummins beige" which is basicly a gloss versoin of the khaki color. My interior is blue and I will be running black steel wheels with large super swampers. I have all the chrome accessories up front (grille, headlight bezels, turn signals) I'll be running DP90's rock sliders (black) and my own black tube bumpers front and rear. I painted one side of my rig olive drab and one khaki but I can't decide what I like more... you guys decide for me.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

where's the pics? Maybe you could leave it both colors and when you don't want to see one just always walk on the other side! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

4. TruckNutzDude

My girlfriend says to paint it flat black again. I had it flat black for a while and I liked it but I decided to go with a more eye catching color "safety blue" and now I don't want the attention from the local pd. I guess since I made one of these types of posts already and you guys said flat black would be good, I could do flat black again. It's just boring and everyone's doing it... I like to be different when it comes to my rig. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

do it kaki, im doing mine olive drab/black camo... with krylon tan parts (cagem bumpers, drivetrain) with black beadlocks and 44's, so, kaki so they wont look the same!

6. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i voted khaki, cause every one around here paints theirs olive drab, & i am tired of seeing it.

7. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I voted for Khaki /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

khaki, lighter color and skratches aren't that obvious and if u can't deide do all colors like me /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gifI voted for flashing everyone so you could paint it kacki and they may not even see me..... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i voted khaki, cause every one around here paints theirs olive drab, & i am tired of seeing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gifI voted for flashing everyone so you could paint it kacki and they may not even see me..... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought about that one... and I made the post so you guys can choose two if you'd like.

12. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly how I feel. The OD green looks nice and it would hide my rig when I'm playing "hide and seek" with my buddies, but there are at least three or four other trucks around here that are OD. The side I painted khaki is nice since I won't have to wash the K5 after a good mud romp... it's the same color as dirt /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Flat black is still an option though, but the same thing with OD, lots of guys around here have a flat black or gloss black rig. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

13. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

olive drab or winter camo

14. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    do it kaki, im doing mine olive drab/black camo... with krylon tan parts (cagem bumpers, drivetrain) with black beadlocks and 44's, so, kaki so they wont look the same!

[/ QUOTE ]

I went out and bought more Khaki paint tonight. If I decide I don't like it I can always paint over it.. at least I won't have to worry about rust /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif As it sits I have the factory paint, two coats of flat black, two coats of "safety blue" and now the khaki. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The good part is there is no bondo, I just cut off the rusted parts with the sawzall /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LOL I hate rust! I keep finding more... I don't want to know whats underneath when I take the body off though /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    I have bondo all over mine! stupid PO /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    LOL why dont you sand it to bare metal then paint? it must be heavy with all those coats of paint on /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    LOL I hate rust! I keep finding more... I don't want to know whats underneath when I take the body off though /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    I have bondo all over mine! stupid PO /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    LOL why dont you sand it to bare metal then paint? it must be heavy with all those coats of paint on /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave up on saving weight... 44's, 1 ton axles, a 465, 205 and full bodied K5 doesn't leave a lot to strip off for weight savings. When this body falls off I'll slap an S-10 on the frame and start saving my pennies for some 2.5 ton rockwells for when the TSL's get worn out and I move up to 49's.

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

why not 52's /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif that would be huge!

18. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    why not 52's /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif that would be huge!

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was going with 52's I'd just get some terra tires and 5 ton axles and call it a monster truck... seriously though, the 49's are bigger than anything I'd ever need. Well... now that I think about it... hmmm....

My butt hurts, it must be this huge flaming hole in my wallet burning all my cash!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LOL I know, I would never run that large of tires... unless it was a full out mud machine.
    LOL at least you have money to spead /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Im flat broke now...

20. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    LOL I know, I would never run that large of tires... unless it was a full out mud machine.
    LOL at least you have money to spead /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Im flat broke now...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to save to be poor /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif It's really sad. In all honesty I should sell this project K5 and my new-to-me DD (got a loan out on it) and start saving to pay off my CC debt. I think it's somewhere in the $10k bracket. Anyways, I'm only 20 and making $10 an hour does not cover all my financial needs, nevermind building a Blazer. Someday I will be out of debt though and there is no way I'm going back down the same road I'm on now. If you have Credit Cards, cut them up now... If you really think it will save you from an emergency, give it to someone you trust and forget it exists. Debt is Hell /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif