Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

KIA SEPHIA - any feedback?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm looking for a commuter car and might be able to get a 2000 Kia Sephia with only 28k miles for pretty cheap. I've done some research and found that this model has gotten a pretty bad rap, but to be honest, there's not much info available on them.

I wondering if anybody has any FIRSTHAND experience with the Sephia- I'd rather hear from someone who has something more to say than "Yah, I heard they are crappy from my girlfriend's dad's cousin in Wyoming" kind of thing. I'm also not expecting anything out of this car other than a basic grocery getter, so don't tell me it's a useless little car- I already know that!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

is that the one that retails for under 8000 brand new? i new a girl who had one, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif seemed to be a good little car /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I had a 1998 KIA SEPHIA back in 98-99. It was a good little car.......when it ran right. I had to claim the lemon law on it. It was in the shop more then it was on the road. Hopefully they have made things better since then.

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

there is a reason certain cars are not top sellers...and that one is an example. Up there with the dodge neon.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Junk, buy American

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Pauly,
    I have a friend who owns one (I belive its a 2000). She drives it every day and says for a cheap car shes suprized at what a decent little car it is. As I have told You We live in a rule area so for people to do any major shopping it means a 100 mile round trip. She has had it for the last two years and has put plenty of miles on it with no complaints.
    If Your looking for something cheap to run I still have the big block crew cab hanging around /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    there is a reason certain cars are not top sellers...and that one is an example.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I remember when I was a kid everyone said the samething about Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans. Sorry to say but Chevrolet just can't build a car that can go head to head with the Accord, Camry and Altima. Kia is a new company which is following the path of those companys which is to build economicle small cars. Worked befor should work again.
    Just my $0.02

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

It's not 100% firsthand experience, but my best friend had one for about 2 years. It was a 2000 model, and the only reason he quit driving it is because his girlfriend wrecked it. We did EVERYTHING in that car (no, not that [at least not with each other, but I have to admit the back seat did get a workout]) and it took it all. Got it up to 115 and hit a dropoff going that fast, didn't do any damage. Used to do reverse burnouts bouncing off the rev-limiter. He smoked the tires and redlined it pretty much every time he took off from a light. Constantly dropping the clutch, doing all kinds of wacky junk. After all that abuse, we could spend about an hour cleaning it up and it was like new again. Never had a single mechanical problem with it. I'd say if you can get one with decent mileage at a decent price, GO FOR IT!

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

A good friend of mine had one. She sold it after a year and took a huge hit money wise. She got tired of it breaking down. Granted it was all under warrenty but she said it was such a pain to have to drop it off, get a rental, then come back when it was done. This was like monthly!

10. Can Can

See, this is the kind of stuff I was hearing about. What problems was she having with the car?

I'm starting to think this car might be a bad choice. It seems that you either get a really good Sephia or a really crappy Sephia.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. ChevyCaGal

From about the 1st month there was transmission issues. It would shift really hard. As in you could really feel it (it would bounce you around). She took it back and they said they couldn't find the issue she was referring too. It got worse, and again, the shop was useless. Finally (and this mind you is I believe 5-6 months after purchase) the transmission wouldn't shift into 2nd or 3rd gear. Took it in, and it was toasted. It was under warrenty though.

She blew a head gasket right under a year. Again, under warrenty, but only a year? The other stuff wasn't huge, but annoying... water pump went out, one of the front rotors was extremely warped, I think something with the suspension? I'll call her and ask her since I don't remember it all. I know when she took it to trade in the dealer basically laughed. She ended up just selling on her own because the dealer wasn't even willing to give her close to blue book, and this was when the issues were all corrected (for the time).

Maybe she just got a bad one? It's possible. I don't honestly know anyone else with one to compare it too.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I used to have a 89 Chevrolet Beretta. Great car, never had a problem. Granted, Chevrolet discontinued the modle in 96 in favor of the Cavilar, but If you don't mind a older car for a commuter, I recomend the Chevrolet Beretta. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif [​IMG] Me and my old Beretta.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't have experience with the Kia, but do with a Daewoo. (and before you holier than thou buy US guys chime in, that engine is in the Chevy Aveo now)

Anyways, I think it was $12,000 new. (my girlfriends parents didn't have much experience buying cars)

It had a head gasket replaced, the engine harness, the brake pads and rotors failed in the 36,000 mile period, the selector for defrost quit working (that REALLY sucks) and I'm 99% sure the front struts (at least) are shot. But it's now got 62,000 miles on it, and still gets 30+ MPG.

I guess where I was going with this (which doesn't show from the previous info lol) is that for close to the same money as the Daewoo, (apparently Kia is much cheaper) you can get a brand new Corolla ($14k base I think) with a 6/60 warranty on it, and which gets 38MPG freeway.

If you are going to buy a cheap car, buy it under warranty. This Daewoo will NOT get any work done to it when something major fails, it's getting scrapped. (already been hit too)

Any car I buy now, new, is going to be a commuter, (I've already got the two gas hogs which I actually care about) which means I'm not out to impress anyone, and it better get good mileage. Other than that, if it goes to the shop twice a year for something major, I don't care, as long as it's a warranty item. If it's cheap, more than likely (and from the posts) it IS going to be in the shop some. Do you need another, more difficult, vehicle to work on?

14. k51989

k51989 Registered Member

i really have nothing at all to say about the kia but i had a cavalier for a while and it was a nice little car. minimal problems for the cost( dime a dozen for older ones) great gas mileage and if it does break parts are cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. Can Can

I hear ya, brother, but I'm really limited price-wise. I'm keeping both the 84 K5 and the 83 6.2 1/2 ton, so I have nothing to trade in, and since I bought my rec property I don't have the extra monthly cash I used to have. All the cars I'm looking at have less than 30k miles on them and I only drive about 13k miles a year, so if I keep up on the maintenance even a crappy econobox should last at least 5 years.

FWIW, I'm also looking at the Hyundai Accent(I know, I know). Unfortunately, price is indeed the bottom line on this transaction.

And for those of you out there pushing the "Buy American" thing, you're dealing with a guy that had to take Chrysler to binding arbitration over a POS Neon I bought in 96. The dealership sunk over $5000 into my car in the first 18 months and after they finally admitted they couldn't fix the rough idle problem I sought legal advice. Let's just say that it took some work but Chrysler ended up having to buy the Neon back from me. Now what was that about quality American vehicles again.....???? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. ChevyCaGal

[ QUOTE ]
    POS Neon I bought in 96.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 95. I feel your pain.

17. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

the older Kia's were terrible horrible little death traps. The newer ones (I believe 2000 is among them) are decent little machines that will easily pay for themselves in gas savings but you will never be able to resell it or trade it in... the value on those cars is almost nothing.

remember, Kia is the cheap car line for Hyundai... so that should be a factor in your decision...

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    And for those of you out there pushing the "Buy American" thing, you're dealing with a guy that had to take Chrysler to binding arbitration over a POS Neon I bought in 96. The dealership sunk over $5000 into my car in the first 18 months and after they finally admitted they couldn't fix the rough idle problem I sought legal advice. Let's just say that it took some work but Chrysler ended up having to buy the Neon back from me. Now what was that about quality American vehicles again.....???? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Chrysler is not an American company and hasn't been for some time now.

19. Can Can

Well, my Neon was assembled right in the good ol' USA. To me that makes it an American-made car.

Do you have any other "valuable" info Tim? Seeing that you work in a parts place and are a part of the industry I would have assumed that you might have been able to give me some educated feedback like I initially asked for...... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Daimler-Benz bought Chrysler a long time ago.

Toyotas, Hondas, and Nissans are assembled in America too, that doesn't make them American.

Actually, from what my customers tell me, the Kias specifically are some of the sh!ttiest cars on the road. Had one in a few weeks ago that generally works on Honda, Toyota, etc., and hardly speaks English and he went off on a 15 minute rant with another customer in the store about what horrible cars they are. I was shocked as his English is so broken that he rarely speaks more than he has to in order to get the parts he needs--but he went off for quite a while.

I don't have an actual opinion on the car, but I can tell you that it's hard to find a store that stocks the parts (in the relm of dead part numbers, Kia and Daewoo have to be at the top of the list).

I can't tell you my personal opinion on them other than I don't sell many parts for them, and when I do, the pricing and availability seems to suck. Hard to comment on an issue that you don't get to see much, but unfortunately, the parts just don't sell nor do we stock many, if any parts for such a car, so it's really hard to comment.

I would avoid it like the plague though, that Hynduai is probably a much better car. My dad has one and he has beat the crap out of it for quite some time now and it keeps on ticking. When it was new it was a pain in the ass to get parts for, but now stores stock the front brakes and stuff. The rears usually have to be ordered in, but that is pretty much to be expected as well.

Unfortunately from my aspect it's hard to say I'd own ANY new car at all, and if I did, I would just buy a really cheap one and drive it until it's done, as they're expensive to repair/maintain.

If possible I would certainly avoid imports, or cars with import-style parts (such as Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouths) as things like starters and alternators are very expensive for such vehicles. (and the rest of them isn't so cheap either)