Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kick down cable operation....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AkMudr, Feb 11, 2005.

1. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Not a common everyday question but here's my dumb question for the month, lol.

Someone explain how the kickdown cable works in conjuntion with the throttle cable..I.E. Is it the throttle cable that activate the kickdown? or vice versa?

Also..when the kickdown operates...is it pulling or pushing against the stud? I have 1 stud ont he lower portion of the linkage, not a nipple but more of a stud with a groove around it...It only pulls back towards the firewall, no forward motion.

I need top figure out if the availabkle stud on my Qjet is where I hook the cable or not. I should go take a picture of it so ya'll can verify it.

P.S. Asking becuas emy truck came iwht a th400, and I'm swapping in a th350.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

cable is for tranny to know how much load is on tranny. it works with the modulator. it is a pull style, needs to go to fert as throttle is used. and at w.o.t. the cable needs to have just a tiny bit of play from beeing fully extended . o.k. hope this helped you.

3. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

So the KDcables' linkage works seperate from the throttle cable linkage? One doesnt activate the other?

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the throttle is on top of arm and kick down is on bottom . about the same movement for both in respect to direction.

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I'll go out and snap a pic so you can tell meif its set-up right.

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Looking at your Q-jet throttle shaft from the side......

Your throttle cable is mounted in the top hole and when you depress the gas pedal it pulls the top in towards the firewall and turns the throttle shaft clockwise.

The detent cable is on the bottom hole and is pulled away from the firewall in the same clockwise motion.

Your detent has a mounting bracket at the back of the driver's side manifold and then snakes down to your transmission.