Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

kick down cable question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85burbanator, Nov 15, 2004.

1. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i dont have a kick down or detent cable on my blazer. i know i can get one from the dealer or lmc but i dont know how it installs. its for an 85 blazer with a 90 efi 350 and a th400 trans. how do i install it, is it fairly easy?

2. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

You have to drop the tranny pan to clip the linkage on, the cable is held onto the trans by one bolt. Just route it up to the throttle linkage. Hopefully you have the correct mounts for it at the throttle body. However, the kickdown is not required and will not hurt the tranny if missing. Its your preference if you want it or not. It will shift the same due to the vacuum modulator, it just wont kick down when you matt it.

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The kickdown on a th400 doesnt use a cable, it is electric. There should be a switch on the gas pedal that controls it.

4. sean'schevy

sean'schevy 1/2 ton status

i got a lokar electric kickdown for the th400 i took off my trans(i went to a manual) that is in good condition and hooks up on the carb with a cable and converts it to an electic signal its yours for 30 bucks plus shipping if ya want it. looks like this minus the hardware in the middle [​IMG]

5. 85burbanator

heres what its doing. i drove it to work(about 1/4 mile) and it doesnt down shift. when i stop it stays in third gear. i know it doesnt have a manual valve body because it shifted on its own. the po said he didnt have a kick down cable and that was why. i dont know a whole lot about trannies thats why i asked. could this be another problem, supposebly it was just rebuild not to long ago.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's not the kickdown mechanism causing that. Sounds like you have a valve body problem.

My 87 C30 hasn't had that electric stuff hooked up for 3 years. It works just fine without it, I don't even notice it.

If your transmission won't downshift regularly (not for passing) you have a hydraulic problem.

7. 85burbanator

i just got off the horn with the po. he said he modified the valve body and pluged the hole. apperently it has full ine pressure in all gears. i might leave it like it is but i might change it. not sure yet.

8. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

The ecm for your 90 engine will control the kickdown for the th400. You could use the pedal switch instead. Both are about the same ammount of work (very little) to install.

9. 85burbanator

i have to get a new valve body for the kickdown to work. he pluged the hole and modded the valve body so its kinda like 3 on the tree but not. not sure why he did it. odd are ill get it fixed this winter when im por 15'ing the frame and under body.