Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

kick down cable

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ed1507, Mar 1, 2003.

1. ed1507

ed1507 Registered Member

i have an 85 k5 305 700r just replace the carb and tranny the tranny shop guy said that thay could adjust the cable to get passing gear i traded the qjet for a holly any one know if thay make a cable to trplace the stock one ? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

IF your just looking for he stock cable yo ucan get one at any orielly's our sutozone, or any other parts store usually. I got mine for 20 bucks at orielly's. If you need a custom linkage and cable you might check out the guys at Bowtie Overdrive they make kits for most popular carbs, including Holley. They have one foe a holley 4100 series, if thats not hte one you ahev give me a call because they come out with new systems all the time. These guys are very helpful and they know there stuff when it come to 700's. Hope this helps

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You really need to get the cable adjusted or replaced ASAP. The tranny cable on a 700r4 is NOT a kick down cable. It regulates the fluid pressure for the tranny. If it is not adjusted properly or is missing you can blow your tranny in a very short time.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I hope your "tranny guy" gave you one hell of a warranty on your tranny. The absolute fastest way to waste a 700R4 is to drive it with the throttle valve cable misadjusted. As was already stated, the TV cable controls just about everything that happens in a 700R4. If the line pressure is too low, then the tranny can overheat and self destruct VERY quickly. I wouldn't expect a tranny shop to even let you drive away without that cable adjusted properly. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The folks at www.bowtieoverdrives.com have some more info on the TV cable, as well as some slick adapters to get the correct TV cable movement with various carbs.

5. ed1507

ed1507 Registered Member

follow up the guys said the shift pressure was fine but ill check back with them thanks ed