Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kick Panel Install/Tweeter location

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ggallin13, Apr 1, 2000.

1. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I am planning to put 5 1/2" speakers in my kick panels. Is it true that all I have to do is cut appropriate holes in there and slap them in? Could it really be that easy? I am also consiering hooking up a pair of tweeters that I have laying around. Where should I put them? Oh, and can I hook the tweeters up to the front channel with the 5 1/2" speakers? I want to use my rear channel for an amp & sub. Thanks for any and all info...

"Haven't though of a good signature yet"
    GG

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Up in the dash where the stock stereo speakers went works good for tweeters.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Not too sure what you're asking about the kicks...a sealed Q-form works well here in most cars, but a K5 might actually have enough room behind to use stock panels. I don' t know what kind of system you want, just good sound, or competition. You'll notice quite a bit of difference if your kick panels are both aimed at the front center of the cab around head height, bringing all the tunes to a focal point. Also, your tweets need to be mounted within 8" of your mids and aimed the same for optimum sound.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

4. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I just scoped out the truck and I am clear tht the speakers will fit in the panels, but now I am concerned that if I hook the tweeters up with my speakers to the same channel (the front) I may fry my head unit. I need the rear channel for my sub.

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Check the impeadence of your speakers: 5 1/2 and tweets.....in parallel (+ to +; - to -) the impeadence will half if they are the same impeadence ( 8 + 8 = 4). Most quality amps will drive a 2 ohm load. Probly confusing the matter, but I think you'll be ok with the two together.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The mid bass speakers should be mounted on somthing solid with no air leaks around it, dont try to cut a hole in the plastic and mount them to it, this is not stable enough. Mounting the Speaker to the metal may be tough..I would take out the kick panel and cut out a piece of 1/2 or 1/4 mdf ply wood ( use the 1/2 ) to cover the stock panel. Drill and counter sink screw holes for the screws that hold the panels to the vehicle its self...then cut away. glue or screw the wood to the kick panel and carpet the whole thing use the supplied grill or use grill cloth and make a cover..this would look way custom and sound good too..but its easier said than done. I installed a set of tweeters on oh I cant thinnk what its called....those towers that separate the front windshield and the doors...those things..I hid the wires down the back..It provided excellent imaging.. the focal point of the music was right about the middle of my chest with the midbass located in the bottom of the door..the tweeter closest to my ear was bothersome from time to time though...

7. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Depdning on the year, for instance the older blazer 80 on back have steel behind there kick panels and a flat exposed metal surace. Just cut holes in the metal and put them in. Careful of the grille heighth your parking brake may hit it. the newer blazers have if I remember correctly plastic covering the metal behind there. If this is so then put them on some plywood or something to mount them solid. tweeters up high for imaging. I put some in sun visors before in a blazer. I have put the in the dash,vents and pillars. You want them for imaging and boucning them off the windshield is a great idea.

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Something no one else has mentioned about hacking into your kickpanels is about the strength of the truck. You know how taking the doors off your truck really lessens the structural rigidity right? Cutting holes in the kickpanels does the same thing. Its not as dramatic a difference as the doors, but it still weakens the body in that area. Something to think about if you really bash your truck offroad.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

9. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Yes actually you are right. Cutting into that section on the truck towards the bottom is double welded steel. It is there to protect you from your floor boards buckling on you from a side impact. Cutting it will lessen the safety. YOu might think of Q forms

10. Atrocity

Atrocity Newbie

I have a set of the Q-basic kick panels in my 1990 Blazer. I just mounted the panel right over the existing kick panels. Then mounted a 5 1/4 mid bass and the tweeter into the Q-basic panel. My speakers are Polk DB series component system that comes with a crossover that you can mount under the dash by the speakers. This always you to run power to the crossover and then split up the power to the sperate speakers. They worked perfect this way.