Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kickdown cable, holley crap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by abusedtrucks, May 14, 2002.

1. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

I have a couple issues with my 83 Blazer. One, the kickdown cable sucks. I took the kickdown cable out because it wasn't hooked up to the carb. I put one on from a 79 Blazer because it was supposed to fit for my setup. The end that goes into the tranny is identical to the one that I took out, but now it leaks horribly. I was going to just pack a bunch of silcon around it to fix the leak, but I have been told that's not a good idea. Why is that not a good idea? Is there some reason I should not do that?

The other question is about my carb. Right now I have a holley carb on an Edelbrock intake. I'm sure you've all heard this one a million times, but here goes again... Every time I get myself into a badass angle where I'm climbing some pretty impressive hill, I have the pipes rapping, the mudder digging, and then the damn thing has to make me look bad and stall out on me. I think it's just a holley thing, but I'm not sure. Is there a way I can fix this stalling on steep angles? Do you think it's the carb?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Silcon- Maybe it wouldn't be good if some got down inside the tranny. I really don't know, but that's my thought.......................................................................................................................................Carb- What Holley is it ???? Is the new Holley Truck Avenger ???? Or a regular Holley ??? The Holley Truck Avenger has been redigned for off road use. You might be able to trade yours in for the Truck Avenger model. Holley part # 0-90670 , It's 670 CFM.

3. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

The kickdown cable is tight enough that I don't think any silicon would get down in the tranny.

Not sure what holley it is. It's old though, so it's not the Truck Avenger that you are talking about

Thanks for getting back to me.

4. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Yes it's the carb. I read an article several months ago in Hot Rod (at least thats what I remember, might be wrong), regarding this very issue. Anyway, they recommend running a tube that connects the front and rear vents while placing a single vent in the tube high in over the center of the carb. This in effect, extends the vent tubes a couple of inches and improves the carbs ablity to support extreme angles by reducing the possibility of flooding via the vent tubes.

I've never used it...run a Q-Jet!

Hope this helps.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If you have a 700R4 that's not a kick down it's a TV cable. Kickdown just tells the tranny when you have given it full throttle and to down shift. A TV cable tells the tranny how much gas your giving and it will adjust it's shift points and how hard it shifts. If you give it 3/4 throttle it will shift firm and hold the gear longer. You can damage a 700R4 with a TV cable problem. Be sure to find out how to properly adjust that cable. (sorry I don't have a 700 so never adjusted one)