Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kid Jethro where are you?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Apr 21, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

kidjethro, my dang blazer won't start..turn the key and nothing, has plenty of battery power, all fuses are ok. i'm stumped, and i don't have any tools anymore..and your the only one i know in town here, perhaps if you have time you can take and look at it and maybe we can figure somthing out?

2. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

sounds like your starter went out. when mine i started it just fine drove down my driveway turned it off, locked up the house went to go wheeling and wouldnt start nothing no turn over nothing at all. i check the battery and my fuses and there all fine. check your starter thats what i had. easy fix takes 30 minutes tops

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

try jumping it...

Do you know how to jump the solenoid and make it crank??--that will tell you if its the starter itself is bad--if it cranks over when you jump the solenoid,its the wiring,fusible links,or ignition or neutral safety switch at fault,not the starter...(sure its in "Park"??--try holding the key to "start" with your foot on the brakes,and wiggle the shifter thru the gears--it might just be the neutral safety switch is out of adjustment--a manual tranny has it on the clutch pedal,and it must be pushed to the floor to let it crank over)....Good luck! :crazy:

4. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

thanks for the tips guys, its a manual and i don't have the neutral saftry switch on mine..i haven't jumped the solinoid, i'll try that tomorrow when its light out..it does start if i let it roll and pop the clutch tho..but i guess that it could still be the starter...the fusible link is good..the truck has been totally rewired and the fuseable link is now a "maxi fuse" on the fire wall.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Joe's getting his butt cleaned. He'll be back tommorow.

Assuming you've qualified the battery at 12.4 volts or higher being "good".

Do you hear a click or no click when you try to start it?
    If you hear a click that means your getting power through your ignition switch all the way down to that S terminal on your starter and its getting 12v to engage the solenoid. thats what the click is. If there is a click, Then the problem could lie in the + or - Battery cables or the solenoid itslef.

If no click, and none of the fuses are popped, then its probably time to start back tracking from the S terminal on the starter back up that purple or pink wire.
    Put it in neutral with the ebrake on. if you can get someone to hit the key for you, while you probe out the s terminal with a Voltmeter, and start tracing the wire back finding out whats going on. where you do/don't have power. You could short it with a screwdriver and get the truck to start.
    good luck. :crazy:

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Getting my butt cleaned? Thats quite an imagination you got mr Ryan. :blush:

Anyways, I'm around dude. Got a zillion things going on today...Keep tryin to get it goin and if ya need someorme help, I'll give ya a ring tonight. :)

7. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

both batteries are fully charged, and there is no click, and when i flip the switch to turn on the second battery, my isolater clicks over like it should but there is still no click..i'm thinking maybe its the ignition switch??

8. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Take a large open ended wrench, arround 1" or so, and arc the two large terminals on the starter selenoid with the open end of the wrench. If the starter spins, jump back in the truck and hit the key. Should fire right up. Mine does this weekly because i dont want to invest money in a motor i intend to pull.