Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

kidney stones, read up here:

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Jan 9, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

http://www.askmen.com/sports/health_60/67_mens_health.html

my maternal grandpa had this happen to him a few times and my neighbor who is only 29 is in the hospital right now doped up on morphine this is his second time having this happen to him, i cant even imagine how horrible this must be

i think id rather have a heart attack than this happen ?

im 26 now and no signs of such a thing happening so i hope to make it to 30 or so and no symptoms at all,

then hopefully i will be ok, i drink very little milk and never overdo it on vitamin A and C, juices and fruits and such, just enough, nowadays i try and have water as much as i can but still isnt any 8 glasses a day, i used ot drink 2 liter or two of soda daily im down to a liter or liter and a half at most daily now, and i never used to ever drinkany plain water at all, up until like last summer, but anyways i am 90% of the time always drinking on something whether it be water, soda, coffee, juice, tea, there is very rare times when i have nothing in my hand to drink, at any given time of my conscious hours every day, its the way ive always been since i was little, so maybe its a good thing, i dont know, so far so good anyways

they say that caucasian males from 20-30 years of age are most likely to have this happen

i didnt know any of the above info, and i was worried ! so i went and looked online, i worry about every lttle thing that may happen in the future, i cant stand it, i think i am ok other than sometimes needle prick pains near or over heart sometimes ofr a few seconds, and belly button sore pain now and then feels like muscle pull or something when i am relaxed sitting and stand up straight or am stretching to try and bolt something up on a vehicle or whatever, never when lifting anything or anything, hmm

no idea if either is anything or what, no one knows, so i assume they are nothing,

i think i am fine i am built like look like and walk like my dad and he has never had any health problems ever so far he is doing fine at 45 he looks like he is younger than that so i figure im fine other than possible heart overworking problem possibly, dont know yet, but will.

i think i will grab the nearest available gun if stones happen though, for real

thought id post and let unknowing persons learn soemthing about this

for no apparent reason :P

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Jekbrown should be chiming in shortly...:blush:

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hum.. really ? did he have this problem ? sounds like it, :(

what happened

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I had them 3-4 times ove a 2 year period. I think I would have prefered death. One of the moms on my kids baseball team had them once, she said natural child birth was easier.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Don't waste your finite moments agonizing over something that hasn't happened

I bet it's hell though

6. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

i had a kidney stone and that probably saved my life, i went to the er because of the pain and they found a tumor in my kidney, renal cell carcinoma, cancer of the kidney, after the doc took my kidney out he saved the stone, big sucker, i have it in a tube for safe keeping, yeah the pain is somethin else, i go back every year for a check up, cancer free so far

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I heard that from several women after I had mine. First you're afraid you're going to die, and then you're afraid that you won't.

Removing the stint that they put in after removal was even more interesting. The stint keeps the passage open so that the irritated tissue won't close it off. The real source of the pain is the closed passage and not the irritated tissue. They tied a piece of suture thread to the stint and left the other end hanging out of......
    Removal involved grabbing the string and pulling. I've never had the dribbles like I had when that string was hanging out. Was sure glad to get rid of it.

From my research at the time, anything with a high Oxalic Acid content , like Grapefruit juice, can cause a stone. Back then I drank a lot of Pink Lemonade. Not any more.

8. Resurrection_Joe

I had a gallstone once, is that similar pain wise? I remember it wasn't unbearable, but I was vomiting from pain, and I think I passed out once

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol. I am the kidney stone master. I am to kidney stones what Bruce Lee was to martial arts. lol. a dubious stroke of fate / genetics to be sure. At any rate, I oughta see if I can get in the guiness book of world records or something. Ive passed stones as large as kix cereal with no medical assistance or pain meds. I had my first stone when I was 17, and have had dozens (lost track) since then. Worst time was my 1st two years at PSU. My pos kidneys made not one, but two golf-ball sized stones in less than 1 year. gotta be some kind of record. Took 4 trips to the hospital for lithotripsy to break em up enough that I could pass all the chunks.

at any rate, Im getting better... i drink well over a gallon of water per day and I am making them at a slower rate now. I still have them, but they are less frequent then they were. For any arm-chair doctors out there, yes, I avoid all the "bad" foods and eat lots of the "good" ones... I am just exceptionally prone to getting them. Maybe what I need to do is find a doctor who wants to do research on stones... I could make him some no problem. Just pay me a lot of $ to the effort and I'd be down with it. ;)

anyway, if you've never had one... thank the heavens. I haven't had any other serious injuries to compare it with, but doctors say a kidney stone attack is one of the worst pains a human being can have without passing out, and it lasts for days sometimes. If the stone is in the kidney and trying to get out, it feels a lot like someone stabbing you in the back with an ice pick... and twisting it around, for hours. once they move down into the kidney-to-bladder tube thingy, then you get sharp pains that shoot kinda from your side right down to the tip of your pecker. That part sucks too. Last but not least, ya gotta piss the thing out and pray to god that it doesnt get stuck half way out when your bladder runs out of pee. Done that a couple of times, and it freakin blows. All you can do is pound water like crazy, lay there in the fetal position and wait to piss again while a sharp spikey lump of chit is inside your dong. bad times. best description I ever heard for peeing one out was from a woman who was asked to compare passing a stone to child birth... "feels like giving birth to a 10 pound cactus". Pretty much sums it up.

j

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: See I knew you'd show up for this thread....:blush:

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

thank the heavens for that thread... Ive had a bunch of stints, one time I had to get emergency surgery and my normal doctor wasnt available so another guy in his office did it. He installed a stint, but NO thread. At first that seemed cool, cause I was most likely gonna have surgery later anyway and they could take it out then. Of course, luck was no on my side. The stone turned out to be passable, and therefore no surgery was required. In order to remove the stint then, they had to "go get it" while I was fully awake and with no real pain medication. What follows is very saddam torture-chamber like. Anyway, you hop into a chair with the stirups (like gyno docs use) and the doc grabs your dong. He then rams a long q-tip covered with some goop about an inch inside your pee hole. Ouch. In theory this cream makes it hurt less... Im not sure I buy it. Next comes what I like to call "the spreader". This dasardly metal gizmo gets rammed into your pee hole and at the pull of a handle wrenches it open while your body desperately tries to close it up. Naturally, this causes a chit load of burning pain, and there is no humanly way possible to "relax" to ease it. Anyway, after that the doc grabs a long stainless steel hose looking thing. Its narrow, but its basically a really tight spiral of springy steel wire... not very smooth. He proceeds to ram this up the gaping pee hole, and you can feel this thing pushing past your dong and up into your bladder. He pushes a little button on the end hanging out and a little claw-grabber thing deploys inside your bladder. He prods around in there for a while looking for the end of the stint while you writhe around in pain hoping you'll soon die. Finally, he grabs the end of the stint. It sorta feels like he has managed to grab your small intestine because when he starts to pull you cann feel a long dangly thing getting pulled out from what seems like your stomach area. A good yank and its all the way out, along with a good amount of blod clots and nasty sickly looking urine. Then the doc removes the "spreader" and you're done. I'd take a dozen threaded stints over one without. It sucks pulling one out with the thread, but it aint nuttin compared to the alternative.

j

12. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I have tears in my eyes, by just reading this:eek: :1zhelp:

13. Resurrection_Joe

I'm completely paranoid.... I made sure to drinka gallon of water

I was carrying a beer pitcher around work

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If your urine is darker than a real pale yellow you're not drinking enough water.

15. Resurrection_Joe

I just messed my shorts.......

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

17. Resurrection_Joe

Yeah I know! That hasn't happened in like.... 7 years!

18. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Imagine this trying to make it's way through your ureters and urethra!
    [​IMG]

Or this!
    [​IMG]

19. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

They look like sadistic jawbreakers....:blush: :grin:

20. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

2 words...

F A W K T H A T ! ! !