Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kids and music

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Aug 3, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

We've been trying to play a little classical music for my kids (it's supposed to make em smarter), and I've oddly been lstening to it and enjoying it myself...

So today my daughter asks me to put on the nutcracker music while she sits and draws on her little magnetic drawing thing, so I put on the CD and start it from the beginning.

Heres the amazing thing:

The beginning of the cd has some kind of "dark" music. A little into the music she gets very frustrated and starts slamming the pen into the board thing and saying "I can't get this thing to look right!", I tell her to calm down, so she does, then gets frustrated and does it again. I flipped a couple tracks forward on the cd to some "brighter" music, and she sat and drew a very nice picture of raccoons happily and without any trouble.
    Just friggin amazing to me how the music can so dramatically affect her mood and how she handles problems...

So if you have kids, beleive me, what they're listening to really does affect them!!

2. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

my kids call it the music without words.
    their favorite is mozart, but handel and bach are up there, too.
    i also have a few of those classical collection cd's, and they're kinda grouped into easy listening stuff, big, dramatic stuff, and the like.
    that shiit kicks ass for being hudreds of years old! i get lost listening to all the layers of music.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker suite and Mozart's Eine kleine nachtmusik are some of my favorites that I used to play for my son when he was a baby. Now hes six and I put my old stereo in his room and all he wants to listen to is Deep purple, Machine head, smoke on the water and ZZ top's tre's amigos La Grange.... God I love my son.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That sure beats watching video of the "Wiggles"(singing & dancing like Mary Poppins on acid) with my six month old neice and not wanting to just puke. She loved it, and it kept her quite, so it wasn't so bad.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Delta, that's exactly what I'm thinking! 300 years old and it can still float you!! Electric instruments and amps weren't even a concept for at least another 200+ years (I've been dwelling on 1812 Festival Overture, Symphony 6, March Slave[copy/pasted])!!

The kids seem to love it, but they kinda like anything we're into, I think. It's really an amazing thing to watch them react with the music...

I just bought a couple Best of Beethoven and Tchaikovsky cd's the other night, it's great, but anything with vocals immediately gets shut off...

Hey Chevyfumes, those were the first CD's my daughter got.

Rob, I hear your pain... My insane wife just bought a Wiggles DVD. I'm waiting to see how the kids react...