Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kids can be so cruel

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, May 11, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> There were a couple of warpped sombiches I went to high school with that did this stuff to cats ....... They also tied their tails together and then flung them over a clothes line ! Evil doesn't begin to describe them !

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I myself, would never hurt an animal, I just thought it was a funny pic.

4. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

You know animal crualty is one of the things almost all serial killers share. There are 4 or 5 traits which all serial killers have like 3 of, I can not think of the others right now besides bed wetting into adolesence.

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Not because psychology is my minor or anything.... pulled this from one of my classmates bibliography pages.. .....

"Anyone who has accustomed himself to regard the life on any living creature as worthless is in danger of arriving also at the idea of worthless human lives."
    -Albert Schweitzer

It is hard not to wonder what goes through the mind of a serial killer. We all know that they don't wake up one morning and say, "Today I think I will kill someone." Something has to lead to their fascination of suffering and death. Studies show that there is a definite cycle of abuse that starts with animals and leads to humans.

The FBI has found that a history of cruelty to animals is one of the traits that regularly appears in its computer records of serial rapists and murders (Goleman, 1991). Serial killers often display fantasies that usually start when they are children. These fantasies can include cruelty to animals, abuse of other children, destructive play, a disregard for others, fire setting, theft and property destruction. "The child fantasizing of control may dream of dominating the family dog, eventually going so far as to kick it. Finding kicking the dog rewarding, the future killer expands his behavior to beating, and eventually killing the dog. The future killer's childhood centration on violence will lead to an adulthood violence-focus" (Anderson, 1994).

Aggressive fantasies that lead to killing are displayed by Patrick Sherrill, who killed 14 coworkers at a post office and then shot himself, had a history of stealing local pets and allowing his own dog to attack and mutilate them. Albert DeSalvo the "Boston Strangler" who killed 13 women, trapped dogs and cats in orange crates and shot arrows through the boxes in his youth. Carroll Edward Cole, executed for five of 35 murders of which he was accused, said his first act of violence as a child was to strangle a puppy. In 1987, three Missouri high school students were charged with the beating death of a classmate. They had histories of repeated acts of animal mutilation starting several years earlier. One confessed he had killed so many cats he'd lost count (PETA, 1998). These gruesome examples obviously show a direct link between animal abuse and human abuse.

The cycle of abuse is not limited to serial killers. Many times domestic abusers use pets to control their families. "If an animal is being neglected in a house, there's real good proof that a child is probably being neglected too" (Fisher, 1997).

A recent study of 57 families being treated at Youth and Family Services in New Jersey for incidents of child abuse showed that in 88 percent of the families, animals were also abused (Johnston, 1997). In many cases, the abuser, usually the male figure in the family, uses the family pet to control the family members to do what he wants them to do. For instance, if a child is being molested, the abuser will threaten to hurt the family pet if the child tells anyone. The abuser may also threaten to hurt the family pet if their partner leaves him. One in four women admit to staying in the abusive home because of their pets and 57 percent of the total women admitted that their partner had harmed or killed their pet (Rizk, 1997)

There have even been instances where the abuser uses the animal to embarrass his partner: "He would tie me up and force me to have intercourse with our family dog…he would get on top of me, holding the dog, and he would like hump the dog, while the dog had its penis inside me" (Adams, 1994). This is a clear example of marital rape where the husband sexually exploits and humiliates the woman. If the woman doesn't comply, he usually threatens to kill her.

Health providers and workers in related areas are encouraged to report animal abuse. Currently, California and Colorado are the only states that require animal abuse to be reported, however, the law only applies to veterinarians (Shapiro, 1996). If we had laws making it mandatory that all health providers report cases of animal abuse, there is the potential to stop the cycle of abuse in its early stages.

The cycle of abuse can potentially be prevented during childhood, as long as the signs are caught early. Schools, parents, communities, and courts who shrug off animal abuse as a "minor" crime are ignoring a time bomb (PETA, 1998). Instead, they should be aggressively punished and counseled.

In Fairfield, Iowa, a recent massacre of cats at a shelter, allegedly by three 18-year-old boys, has ignited an uproar over what to do. Some residents want the teens sent to prison. Others feel it would be overreacting and will ruin these kids' lives (Feldmann, 1997). My opinion on this is that if these kids get a "slap on the wrist," their punishment isn't harsh enough for them to feel that it is necessary to change their behavior.

Parents need to be role models to their children and teach them the value of all life, human and animal. The "Happy Face Killer," Keith Hunter Jesperson writes, "My father witnessed me throwing a cat against the pavement and then strangling it to death. Instead of telling me it was wrong, he was kind of proud of the way I took care of it. He even bragged about the way I took care of stray cats and dogs in our mobile home park. All this did was to spawn in me the urge to kill again. I began to think of what it would be like to kill a human being. The thought stayed with me for years, until one night it happened…I killed over and over until I was caught. Now I'm paying for it with the rest of my life behind bars."

Bibliography

Adams, Carol J. (1994, Spring). "Bringing Peace Home: A Feminist Philosophical Perspective on the Abuse of Women, Children, and Pet Animals." Hypatia, v9, n2, 65-80.

Feldman, Linda. "Cruelty to Pets-And People-As One Battle" [On-line] Available: http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/1997/09/10/us/us.2.html

Fisher, Ann. (1997, Nov.) "Animal Cruelty: a sign of other abuse?" [On-line] Available: http://www.cd.columbus.oh.us/news/newsfea2/nov97/animl/17.html

Goleman, Daniel. "Child's Love of Cruelty May Hint at the Future Killer." The New York Times, Aug. 7, 1991.

Jesperson, Keith Hunter. (1997, Dec.) "Animal Abuse." [On-line] Available: http://www.innercite.com/~dragon/abuse.htm

Johnston, Richard. (1997, Dec.) "Working to Halt the Cycle of Violence." [On-line] Available: http://www.humanecyberpet.com/protection/cycle-violence.html

PETA Factsheet. (1998, Jan.) "Animal Abuse &amp; Human Abuse: Partners in Crime." [On-line] Available: http://www.peta-online.org/facts/mis/fsmis13.htm

Rizk, Chris. "Pets: Animals Suffer Domestic Abuse, Too." [On-line] Available: http://www.detnews.com/1997/metlife/9711/05/11050030.htm

Shapiro, Kenneth. "Violence and Animal Abuse: All in the Family." The Animals' Agenda. July/August, 1996.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Geez, that's pretty informative.

7. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

Last week in Portland we had a group of 4 teenagers kill some little baby ducklings. Lots of witnesses and was reported to be very cruel and vicious.

Nothing yet on what will happen to the bunch, but 1 of them was 18, so I hope they all do some good time.

8. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Very awesome article.
    I remember hearing a case of child molesting at a daycare center where the perps killed a rabbit in from of the kids and said they would do it to them if they told anyone. Later that day they made the children make paper mache(sp?) rabbits to take home and hang on their fridge as part of their art class.
    There is also Jeffery Dalmer that would decapitate animalls and put their heads on stakes in his back yard.

9. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/blush.gif

10. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Don't even get me started...*sigh*/forums/images/icons/mad.gif (not you, Drew. The subject matter)