Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

i hear alot about HAVING to have 1 ton axles, but i just read the post where kieth said everyonje who has their 10 &12 bolts still and runnin like 38s. keith, how do your axles hold up and what kind of wheeling do you do. i live in the piney woods of texas, so all i like to do is MUD MUD MUD. no rock climbing, nothing else. w/a 350 and 38's, how would they hold up in the mud?

Mike Dee

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I am running 36's and Keith has 38's We wheel pretty much the same stuff. Tellico, Gardendale, and other southern stuff. Ruted out rocky hills. Stream crossing, rock gardens. I have a Dana 44 front with stock shafts modified with full snap ring converion. Kieth has the 10 bolt with Warn Shafts. We both blew u joints in the front which took out the ears on the inner and outer shaft. Neither of us have blown an actual shaft or ring gear.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

A lot of the things that contribute to breakage is terrain (among other things) places like Moab or other high traction areas where the wheels can really get a good grip you tend to break more things, whear as terrain that is wet or muddy will allow the wheels to slip a little more and will be a little more forgiving. High HP can be hard on parts as well.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Are those the chrome alloy shafts you guys are running? I want a set of them but am mixed on if they are worth it..... I mean if a u joint can butterfly them then why bother to spend the extra $$$....

C'mon captain brake pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

5. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

so i suppose if he has a 10 bolt w/new shafts and does some pretty extreme rock crawling and so do u, a 10 bolt would hold up to a 35" tire? b/c before i put on the 38s, im gonna put on 35s till i get money to do the axle swap and buy the bigger meats.

Mike Dee

6. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Depdog said it!! I said it!! Now go look at it at my link below or the readers rig section.

79 Blazer 6"lift 38 SX's locked/4:56 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.keith.rockcrawler.com>www.keith.rockcrawler.com</a>

7. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

A FRONT 10 BOLT will survive, its as strong as a Dana 44. The REAR 10 bolt however is another story.

JUNK

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>