Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Killed electrical system?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gtchief, May 11, 2006.

1. gtchief

gtchief Registered Member

I'm in the process of putting my '89 K5 back together and was putting the doors in. I dont have the battery so I hooked the charger up to the battery cables. Everything was working fine enough and now all the sudden I'm getting nothing. The charger is going right into short mode. I think I may have turned the ignition and kicked the starter for a 1/4 second and that may be when I lost everything. I had lights, blowers, door locks, etc. in working condition. All fuses look good in the dash. Anyone have any clue as to what I can be missing or if the starter may have screwed something. Thanks.

2. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Something must have grounded out/shorted. If you are saying that the battery charger goes to short out mode as soon as it is attached to the battery, then you have a short to ground.

1. Pull the positive and ground off your battery. Attach the charger see if the same thing happens. If it does - your battery is toast.

Before replacing the battery - check a couple more things:

2. Take an ohm meter with NO OTHER POWER ATTACHED TO TRUCK and check between positive battery cable and frame. Should not have anything with all electrical off/doors closed. If it goes to zero resistance - direct to ground short.

3. Isolate the positive battery wire to the starter run. Pull it off at the starter and make sure it is not touching ground. Check again. If it goes to zero - its the positive cable shorted b/w the battery and starter. If not...your starter solenoid/starter may have fryed.

Then check your fuseable links.

electrical must be the theme of the week.:doah:

3. gtchief

gtchief Registered Member

AZ79,

I'm going to check what you said, but I dont have a battery. Running charger directly.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

then omit the part about the battery, you still need to check the other stuff listed above. I'm guessing positive to starter or starter itself is going to be the culprit