Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Killed my clutch-What should I replace it with?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stock93, Apr 25, 2004.

1. stock93

stock93 Registered Member

While I was in a big mudhole today my clutch just let go. What brand clutch should I replace it with? Its an 83 K10 sm465/208/36 buckshots. I'll be going to 38s when I swap in my 1 ton running gear.

John

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

When I do my 465/205 swap I am putting a Centerforce II clutch in mine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifit holds 60% better than any stock clutch.

3. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

I have a dual friction centerforce. So far it's nice but have less then 100 miles on it, your suppose to put 200 miles in town driving to break it in befor eyou get on it. Of course I have already /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif you know how it is.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

a LUK rebuilt 12" clutch will be perfect
    Centerforce is a gimic IMO

5. stock93

stock93 Registered Member

Where can I get an LUK clutch and how much are they?

Thanks,
    John

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am with MJ...I should have listened to him the first time around when I swapped in a 4-speed..I ended up goin with the Centerforce Dual Friction..It was the biggest waste of money I have thrown at my truck. The pressure plate is even made by LUK...It lived about 3000 until the POS centerforce TO bearing ate crap. I now have a LUK ProGold and LOVE it...It has stood up to some serious abuse behind my 454...

We sell LUKs at the Napa I work at, but you can get them online at a place called like dial-a-clutch.com or something like that..

Chris

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I got my Zoom clutch at Napa. Two years, no issues.

USE A DIAPHRAM CLUTCH!!!

8. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

There's a place in San Diego called Southland Clutch that will build you a very strong clutch if you don't want to go mainstream. My 72 has a southland special and the SM465 input shaft bearing is bigtime worn out, turning a heavy truck, the clutch has been in there for years and it's still mean. The pressure plate side is ceramic discs and the flywheel side is some kevlar weave or something. Anyways, they built me a clutch that's good enough for a thousand horsepower for around the price of a centerforce. Then I made the mistake of buying a hayes for the 67 camaro and it's a POS and was more expensive than the southland.

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Watch out for rebuilt. Buy new instead. My 12" kit (diaphragm type) under a jobber brand was actually a Borg & Beck. Cost me $140CDN.