Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Killer Bees in AZ???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Aug 21, 2006.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

300 bee stings kill Huachuca City man

A Huachuca City man died and his father was hospitalized after they were attacked Sunday by a swarm of bees on the roof of their house.
    Witnesses said the men apparently disturbed a hive when they were repairing the roof around 11 a.m., according to the Cochise County Sheriff's Department. Huachuca City is about five miles north of Sierra Vista.
    The 59-year-old homeowner managed to get inside the house while his 39-year-old son tried to spray off the bees with a garden hose, a department statement said.
    The older man was treated for about 100 stings at the Sierra Vista Regional Health Care Center, where he was listed in stable condition Sunday afternoon.
    His son was pronounced dead after being stung about 300 times.
    It was unclear whether the son died at the house or at the hospital.
    Whetstone Fire Department firefighters sprayed foam on the house to try to kill the bees, but they, as well as sheriff's depu-ties, were stung.
    The names of the victims were not released pending notification of their next of kin.
    Reed Booth, a bee expert based in Bisbee, was shocked by the man's death. He said people need to understand the danger of bees.
    "All of the wild honeybees in Arizona are Africanized bees," he said. "If you have an existing hive, it is a bomb waiting to go off. It's not if — it's when. People don't take it seriously enough."
    Booth urged anyone who sees a hive around his or her home or neighborhood to immediately contact a bee-removal professional.
    Sheriff's officials still were investigating the death late Sunday.

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Yes, killer or Africanized bees are in Az. I believe 300 stings from any kind of bees might kill some people though.

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Yeah, they say that killer bee stings arent more potent than any other bee, its just that they are agressive and sting all at one time. We have had several deaths around here from killer bees. I was hunting and almost fired my gun 5 feet from a hive, but luckily i heard the buzzing, so I walked away slowly.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Carry Benedril with you in places like that. It can be the difference.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Killer bees have been around here for years. Luckily I've never come across a significant hive of bees but it's always comes to the forfront of the mind when you hear a whole lot of buzzing.

Also luckily for me I HATE bugs so that makes be doubly wary.