Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Killer PDF file I found on U-Joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Yep a cool link. Would I be wrong, but when I replace u-joints I don't buy real expensive ones. I don't look for cheap ones either, but if anything is too break I want it to be my ujoint. Am I thinking right? Or am I just nuts. :D

4. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yea ... U joints should break first. I stay away from the costly- strong ones. Best results are with the Dana's from NAPA.

5. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

:doah: Jinxed myself, Ujoint just made some noise when I went to the store. It's in the rear shaft. Off to Napa I go, might as well pick up some calipers and pads for the front while I am there. I do most of my shopping there. Sometimes Canadian Tire but mostly Napa.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Unless it starts taking out other stuff when it breaks. Like when a front axle joint breaks, then binds up the ears on the stub shaft & snaps them, which causes them to ride on the ball-joint and cut it to pieces. So now you are sitting on the side of the mountain, with your steering knuckle laying on the ground, extolling the virtues of you cheep u-joint acting as "fuse". :haha:

7. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Ya I agree with you bigjbear. I wouldn't want to go thru that again. I bought expensive ujoints for my stub axles. But for my driveshafts I like to keep it simple. But if they start causing breakage else where I will buy better ones. Only yesterday at our 4 wheel drive show we found out alot about ujoints. Side axles busting apart and driveshafts twisting off all day long. This pic is my buddy Joes truck. He was in a tug of war with another pickup and his started hopping. His rear yoke snapped off and his pinion was majorly messed up. I never let my k5 hop too much. Only leads to breakage.
    [​IMG]