Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Killing inbred Tweeters!!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ChrisM72beast, Jun 8, 2001.

1. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

My problems with my system is this
    1) I've got Pioneer 4 way 6x9s that I keep burning the tweets out on.
    2) My 72 has limited room to put in seperates, even though that's what I'd like to do.
    3) My doors are already cut-out for 6x9s
    4) I like to play my music loud and a little on the bright side.

Any help would be appreciated.
    My system consists of Kenwood 509s reciever, Kenwood 6 disc changer, Alpine f303 4 channel amp,two Pioneer 4way 6x9 speakers and a 10" enclosed Pioneer woofer.

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

How is it wired? Do the front 2 channels of the amp run the 6x9's and the rear 2 channels are bridged for the sub? Or is it different?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I have a '72 also...there is more space than you think for components. Especially in the doors.

One of the things that I noticed is that you seem to be overdriving your system to try and achieve the amount of volume you want. There really isn't much more to say about that....if you keep cranking the equipment you've got, you will probably keep blowing the tweeters. Keep in mind that it's really not the tweeters fault. They are just the most delicate voice coil in the speaker and when the amp distorts (which it obviously is), then the tweeter is the first to blow!

There are a couple of things you could do:

1. Put a bigger, and cleaner amp in the system. It will help the existing speakers to last longer at the volumes you like to listen to.

2. Get the tweeters up higher in the door. With the tweeters blasting into your ankles, you probably aren't getting the high frequencies that you want to hear. Maybe add a second set of tweeters higher in the door, and forget about the ones in the 6x9's (they're blown anyway, right?) The space under the vent window should be easy enough to sink a speaker into...there's nothing to interfere behind that metal. Your tweeters will be closer to your ears (louder) and you will be more able to hear distortion in time to turn it down and save your speakers.

3. Or ditch the 6x9's altogether, and put a component set in the doors. You should be able to fabircate an adapter plate to mount a 6.5" speaker down low and cover up what's left of the 6x9 opening. Then put the tweeter up high in the door as mentioned in #2.

Those things should help a lot. If you like a "bright" sounding speaker, you might want to check out MB Quart. Last time I heard a pair, they seemed very bright to me.... not what I enjoy, but everyone is different and they may sound great for your system. Give them a listen.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do.

-Greg72
    '72 K5 w/ an impending 1600W stereo install..... [​IMG]

4. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

I got it set up just like that. I wouldn't mind having a bigger amp but I have no room. I run all summer with my top off and I don't care, even with an alarm,there is no way I'm leaving visible. Right now I got the amp under the drivers seat. Maybe I can put another amp under the passengers seat where my changer is right now.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Don't forget there's room on both sides in the rear quarter panel areas. I will be putting 2 amps on each side (mounted vertically) in the quarters just behind the front seats in my own '72. It is a simple thing to just put a trim panel over that area so that nobody can see them. That would give you the room you need for another amp without moving the CD changer. PLUS, they are off the floor, so if the floor gets wet you won't have to worry about damaging your stereo gear!

Something to think about.....[​IMG]

-Greg72