Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kind of a Off the wall Question about the Vietnam War..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Silver84k5, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I was watching a show on the history channel about the A-10 warthog... This is my favorite plane next to the F-14...

My question is... Do you think the A-10 wouldve helped the outcome of the vietnam war? I realize in vietnam, you really didnt know who your enemy was, and you got blindsided a lot.. But on the other hand it seems like if the A-10 was around, it couldve really did some serious dmg...

(ive been drinking a little so this might seem a bit wierd.. :D)

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I don't think it would have made a difference. Never hear much bout em, but in Nam we had A4s. Big single engine prop plane flown by mostly Vietnamese pilots. They did the low and slow ground support missions very well.

3. Silver84k5

you might not hear much about them... but if you watch this show... godamn they could take a beating, then they could deliver it back, in spades...

I have a fascination with that time period for some reason, its kinda odd, i wish i could sit down with a vet who was comfortable talking about it, and let him tell me how it was... seems like a real screwed up time...

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Might have made for an easy target for the NVA's SAM's.

5. Silver84k5

maybe... but seeing how they could have half a wing blown off. and still make it back to base...............

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I dont think it would have made a difference in the outcome of the Conflict cause there would still be the same **** knuckles in DC with their heads in there asses bombing the same targets 5,6 and 7 times.:( .

Ira

7. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

we lost politicaly not militarily. the politions lost that war not the men on the ground.they won every major battle with the vc but were always pulled back to make somebody happy or to not piss off the chinese

8. Silver84k5

yea... i seemed to have overlooked the political bull**** that went on during that ordeal... I guess i was just in the middle of some wishful thinking....

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Dont get me wrong the A-10 is my #2 also behind the "Rhino" Also known as the F/A-18 Super Hornet:D .

Ira

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

f-18=homoghey super duper electronic plane
    now the A-6, A-6E and EA-6B are some badass machines
    the A-6 was one of the few planes that we made that will never be sold to a foreign country, could carry twice its own weight in bombs

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Probably an overstatement.:D

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Nope, the A-10 has one of the smallest heat signatures of any tactical aircraft in the US inventory.

Survivability? Probably would have saved a few dozen pilots over the course of the war, either from being protected from injury by the titanium "bathtub", or just being able to get the aircraft back down South because it's very damage-resistant. Don't forget, the A-10 was designed during Vietnam, and the experiences and lessons-learned up to that point in the war were incorporated into the design.

As to it's positive influence on the war as a whole, I don't think it would have had a huge impact, but there definitely would have been some impact. Probably several hundred ground force losses could possibly have been avoided by the A-10's virtues (big ordnance load, that wicked gun, great loiter times), and the above-mentioned pilot saves. There's probably more than a few battles that could have been very positively influenced by the A-10's presence... I don't know any offhand, but I'd be willing to bet money on it.

But as sandawg and sledhead stated, the politicians f**ked-up that conflict, and no airplane could have saved us from that...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  13. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

HaHa never heard anybody say the super was on of thier favorite planes. The "Rhino" I still don't get where the name came from. It's a hornet, but it's super:D

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The term Rhino is used to differential them from the Hornet on the carrier. The Rhino is substantially heavier than a hornet and subsequently reequires significant changes to settings on the cat and arresting gear. I can not explain why I like them I just do. Maybe has something to do with looking across the channel at the runway on North Island all day.

Ira

15. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well yeah I know all about the carrier differences. I am in a Super Hornet sqdn:D I like them too, but they are pretty new..ya just dont here a lot of people say it's their favorite. I like the F-4 ad the A-6, but I never had to work on them.

They don't have Super Hornets..or Hornets at all in North Island:dunno: :D

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I doubt they would have made a difference. Politicians in DC with balls would have made a difference though. In Korea when we started falling back, Mac did an end-around invasion and landed at Inchon... the result was the almost complete destruction of the North Korean Army. The US should have done something similar immediately after the Tet Offensive. The left wing media kooks tried then (and still try now) to color Tet as some kind of great VC victory... in reality we slaughtered the VC during Tet. It wasn't even close. We killed the enemy at like a 30:1 ratio. How that is "victory" for the VC I dunno. At any rate, a combined airbourne/marine invasion to take Hanoi probably would have won the war. Only downside of the plan... 1) you have to have to balls to try it, like Mac did in Korea.... 2) you have to be willing to risk China coming in on the side of the NVA.

Sounds risky, but the alternative (losing) was a lot worse.

j

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Your pretty smart sometimes Jason...........

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Correct there are no squadrons of Hornets or Super Hornets here but they do fly in and out of here all of the time. Maybe they are from MCAS Miramar dunno but I have seen them here. Most of the time it is those annoying ass S-3s and the occasional E/A-6B.

Ira

19. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

20. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya it is sweet but we dont have any in the fleet yet.:)

Ira