Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kind of Exciting Afternoon

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

So for the second Monday in a row, some knucklehead in my department (wears three stripes:D ) scheduled me for a day shift. I go in today and since I was senior on duty, I got to pawn off court to the other deputy. We're actually pretty cool working together, and I had a boatload of stuff to get done.

Lunch time comes and goes and I get my afternoon lined up. I'm hauling ass out of the office at about 1400, meet with the state guy, then head up the road to make a delivery to another agency, then do a follow-up on a case I'm working on.

Everything is going great, I drop off the stuff I need with the state guy and get to the other agency at about 1425. Since I couldn't contact my victim until 1500, I decided to hang out for about 30 minutes. The chief is in the office and he's getting ready to go handle the dog pound duty. That is everyday during the week, he changes from his pseudo appearing military dress shoes (yes he is in uniform) to knee high wading boots. You see, the daily dog pound duty consists of him taking a fire truck down and spraying the floor clean.:D

As he is changing footwear, he is amazing me with a story about he used to own some really rare firearm, supposedly maybe six of them are known to exist, the phone rings. All he says is yes, yes, yes. Gets off the phone and tells the city clerk to page the FD out, Lefty's Diesel is on fire. He starts heading out the door and ask him if he needs help, so I fall in behind him for the three block journey.

Lefty's Diesel used to be the local diesel repair shop. From I heard today, if it was diesel and needed fixing, Lefty was the guy. We pull up on the highway to block it off for the FD and lucky us, we were directly downwind of the thing. We were maybe 100 yards away and as soon as we starting getting traffic stopped, we could hear stuff exploding inside the building. Each explosion was louder than the last and I think maybe the sixth one was the last, sounded like a medium caliber gunshot. As soon as the FD got through, we opened the highway, but I closed off the side street. Even though the wind was bad, the smoke wasn't too bad for me, though my patrol car needed to be washed when I got back to the office.

Everyone inside the shop was able to make it out and no one got transported, though I found out later the shop lost two dogs to the fire. The shop was the only building with damage and I drove by on my way home and it's a total loss.

I've got to say again how much volunteer firefighters kick ass. Dropping everything they have going at the time, head to the station to get the trucks going, and some of them coming from 20-30 miles away because their paying job has them there, suiting up and wading into the pits of Hell, unknowing what fate awaits them to risk life and limb to not only protect life, but property is the type of people everyone should look up to. Heck, even the 40-50 year old open country fire truck from my town went to help out anyway they could.

My hats off to all firefighters, but to the all voluteers that I work and assist a special gratitude goes out those guys.....................

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

And if I'm around tomorrow, I'll transfer some images from my video camera to jpeg to post..........................

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Believe me, the pleasure is all ours!

My hat's off to you sir for giving those guys some help with traffic, and for doing your daily duty. It's not often law enforcement and the volunteer departments collaborate, at least not around here anyway.

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

All of you guys are badasses

HEROS!