Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kind of Saw's???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Sep 14, 2000.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Kind of Saw\'s???

Hey all...I'm starting to do the rear panels in my 86 Blazer I'm going to do them out of 1/4 or 1/8 inch oak ply wood and stain them..I also want to add speaker holes by the rear passenger seats..(sort of like Broncos)? And in the back like the stock panels..I need to know what sort of saw(s) I will need to cut the holes( about 5 1/4 inches to 6 inches) perfectly circular, and also the bend for the wheel wells, and maybe even oval for 6x9 speakers(rear) Thanks for the info!! you all rock!!

2. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Re: Kind of Saw\'s???

Use a jigsaw with a fine blade,make sure you cut it from the backside(if you dont the edges will be tore up).I did this same thing to my old br@nco.Stained and pollyed them came out very nice.Water proof too, i never had the top on my Br@nco=).I also used brass screws and washers.

3. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

A really nice way to do that would be either a Dremel tool, or a Roto-Zip, both have the high-rpm drill bit style cutting bits, and both make a circle cutting jig. The tools aren't too costly, and you'll find a million other uses for them! I kind of prefer the Roto-Zip, personally. You can find them in Home Depot, or other stores similar.
    Good luck!

You can't beat going Topless!

4. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

You'll need a jig-saw to do all the cut outs. They're actually the cheapest of all saws, so buying one won't kill your budget. You first drill a hole (probably about 1/4" or 5/8") inside of the pattern you want to cut out, then you poke the blade of the jig saw through and then just follow the line of the pattern you drew. If you want to round the edges of your holes you'll need a router and to sand the inside edges of your cuts you can sand it by hand or you could get a cheap sanding bit for any drill and sand away. My dad's a carpenter by trade and I grew up doing this stuff, I already had this planned for my Blazer and I can't wait to do it, good luck.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

5. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Saw choices are great.....but your choice of materials, I would personnally go thicker(been a wood worker for 30 years now) it will be lotz more stable and will hold its shape better than 1/4 and for goodness sake don't use 1/8 you'll be extremely unhappy when you will have to re do it...and as for most 1/4 inch you buy today its only 3/16, and I would NEVER use it to hold a speaker in a off-road vehicle.[​IMG]

White Knight

6. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

White Knight
    What would you suggest as an alternate thickness???

7. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Holesaws to use in a drill are available to 6". But pricey,
    $85.00 with the arbor. Lot of money for a couple holes. But, perfectly round.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

8. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I have built them out of half inch and 3/4 inch. As far as the holes are concerned you can also use a router with the correct jig on it. That is how I do all the woofer holes in enclosers at work. I also have a hole saw set for my drill. That is how we cyt out speaker holes in doors or wood.

[​IMG]

9. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I have built them out of half inch and 3/4 inch. As far as the holes are concerned you can also use a router with the correct jig on it. That is how I do all the woofer holes in enclosers at work. I also have a hole saw set for my drill. That is how we cut out speaker holes in doors or wood.I have a SnapOn hole saw kit that was conciderably more than 85 bucks. But i bet he is right in saying about 85 for just the 6" hole saw. Good Luck

[​IMG]

10. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

I'd use a good quality 9 ply or better, min thkn'ss of 1/2, if I was doing it myself, I know lotz of folks have used fibreboard or particle board..won't suggest it, it's not very waterproof[​IMG]And make sure before you install it that the back and the edges are sealed with a good quality Polyurethane, including the edges where the speaker holes are cut, and when you place the screws to hold it in place put a dab of clear silicone sealer/chaulk on the threads. Espically if you decide to use Oak, as it has a high amount of Tannic acids that will react with moisture and Iron (screws) and turn the surrounding area a blue/black!![​IMG]Or use brass (solid) or stainless screws...Good luck with the project and post some pix when Steve gets the broadband thing recified...Only other thing I would suggest is to make a cardboard template if you don't have the orginal covers...measure twice and cut once!!!![​IMG]
    <font color=blue>White Knight<font color=blue>

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Da boys have good info...........I used 5/8" particle board and it handles 10" MTX Thunder woofers pounding pretty well! No, particle board is not waterproof, but why in the world would I let it get soaked back there.........? Wet rear sections are for the guys with Herculiner (or its' equivalent). No way I am soaking my new carpet and pad, let alone my $200 speakers and amp hidden behind the side panels.

<font color=black>'79 K5 - 406 w/IROC TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Your best bet would be 2 saws and a guide bar. You want a jig saw and a radial saw. Both are reasonably cheap depending on the quality. B&D make decent ones for the price. I picked up a RefurbedB&D Jig at BigLots for $25 and it was a $60 unit. It has never given me any trouble but saved me some cash. These are the type of items you will have for a long time so it might be worth buying a bit better quality. I have worn out one radial (it took a while) but the replacement was a $90 Makita. Once you buy a house they will get used. The guide is simply a long metal stip that you can clamp down to use as a guide for your saw so you can make a perfectly straight cut. Doing this with a jig saw is near impossible hence the need for radial saw for the big cuts. If you tried to make these long straigt cuts with a jig the blade has a tendancy to wander around so I really wouldn't recomend trying. I would also recomend a "L" square and a Chalk line to be on your list of tools. Neither are expensive but very handy for wood working.
    Materials depends on what your planning on doing. If you planning on leaving the top off then some marine 1/4 ply would be best. Now that does not mean it's waterproof on it's own. You will need to seal it with an epoxy resin but it will have a smooth clear side that if your not covering it will be suitable to stain. If your planning on covering it with fabric and plan on keeping it dry then 1/4 MDF would be my choice. That width will fit about right to the lips that allready exist in the truck. Now you mention speakers. to get them suport get some 3/8-1/2 inch ply. figure out where you plan to mount them. this can be used as backing to suport the speaker in one of two ways. you can cut a peice and attach it directly to the 1/4 or you can mount it to the back side of the bedrail then the speaker would bolt through the 1/4 into the ply that is firmly attached to the truck.
    You can do a lot more than you think if you take your time. having the old pannels as a tempplet is a deffinate help but if not available you can make a template with some cardboard. There is an old wood works addage. Measure twice cut once :) remeber that before you make any cuts. A few tricks for cutting are to put down masking tape where your cutting if you have to cut on the finish side to keep from maring the surface. try to always cut from the back on ply to cut don the splintering on the finish side. again the masking tape is not a bad idea where the balde will be cutting. GOOD, FINE tooth blades is a must for cutting finished ply. The saw will come with a blade ment for cross cutting 2x4's not finish work so you will need to buy this.
    Now if you want to get the rightfabric material if your covering the pannels you have a couple of choices of where to shop. Some big cloth stores will have heavy weight materials and uppolstery fabrics. One thing to understand about these fabrics is they may fade quicker since they were never intended to be in the direct sunlight all day everyday. If you look in you local Yellow pages under "trim shops" sometimes listed with the automobile sections. If you find nothing look under headliners. These will be places the specialize in automotive interriors and can get you automotive grade fabrics that will not fade as fast. Headline material is good for doing side pannels and cheap!. it has a 1/4 foam back on it and easy to work with. The trim shop will also be able to supply the good spray adheasive that will stand up to the heat inside a vehicle. If your going the fabric route a Staple gun and some 1/4 staples should also be on your list. you will need to tie off any fabric you use on the backside of the pannels and staples will last the longest.
    Can you tell I have done a few? :) Getting ready to redo the wifes 79 (if I don't trade it on a 70 suburban high top (old ambulance) that would make a killer family cruiser with a pre runner suspension its 2wd). I use to have a lowrider that I did the door pannels and bed in that I got a few good comments from judges on.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

13. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Be sure to bevel the outside edge of your hole so the speaker will sit flush!

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

14. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

One other tip you might consider. Im planning on doing the same thing. Before installing the side pannels you may want to consider putting insulation behind the pannels standard house insulation will do just fine if you are not planning on getting the rear to wet. Good sound deadner and some r-value does not hurt!
    Good luck

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL