Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kinda decided on a welder-Ok, new option

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I've kinda got my heart set on a welder. After seeing the extent of the rust on the burb, it looks like I will need to do some rather interesting repairs. (body repairs, sheet metal, some cab supports, and a few body mounts, some rockers..)

I was going to try to use fiberglass to repair, but I think in some areas, some steel will definately be needed.

So Im trying to decide whether to get 115 or 230- the garage has 230, so its viable as well. THe question was, is it worth the extra 400 dollars for the dual voltage option?

SEcond question was, will a miller 135 suffice, or a 175 is better? I dont want to do work, and then go , "damn, gotta let this thing cool down."

I know miller is a well known brand, but is there something better?

*update*
    I found a listing for this:

ESAB Multimaster 260 with regulator, mig torch steel/aluminum ready, stainless, mild steel and aluminum spools included. Also does tig. 25hrs of use tops. Good machine wish i could keep it but im trading up. Asking $1800. Up for negotiation.

---
    This thing lists for over 2300. Not certain how much the spools are worth. Dunno how much it is worth used.

I offered him 1200 for it- think I offered too much? how much would you pay for this unit used?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2005
  2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have a Lincoln 175(230V). I love it. Only thing I use the 110V welders for anymore is sheetmetal and exhaust(just cause I don't feel like breaking out my 175). For things like brackets and good heavy steel, the 175 is awesome. I always found I just didn't have a enough heat with the 135 my dad has. My only issue with the 175 is, I need to make my extension cord, and I need it bad.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

But the miller has the dual voltage units- the power of the 175, but the flexability of the 115- Im just wondering if its worth that much to do it.

www.cyberweld.com seems to have some good prices. Any comments?

Also, is the passport worth considering? It seems small and portable, but it also seems as if it might not have the duty cycle...

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have the Millermatic 135 and so far I think it's perfect for anything up to 1/4". The thicker stuff i use the gasless wire, and the thinner stuff I use the 75/25 gas with .030 microwire.

220 volt is nice, but it sure isn't as flexible or portable as a 115 volt machine IMO.

Rene

5. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

If you want it to be portable , get a good 110 unit
    If you are just going to have it in your garage I would get the largest brand name welder you can afford 220V.
    Now this is from my experience , going from mega high dollar machines at work :bow: , to using a cheap off brand 110 unit :mad:
    If you use or ever get to use a quality machine you will hate a cheap under powered one once you see the difference in ease and quality of weld

Just some food for thought :dunno:

P.S. You may also want to get one that is compatible with a spool gun for future uses ,aluminum , stainless etc

6. tRustyK5

I use the high end Millers at work all day long, and the Millermatic I just got doesn't disappoint me. I had a Campbell Hausfeld 80 amp before and that would do nothing but frustrate me...

The Millermatic runs smooth and is a pleasure to use though.

Rene

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

wacha all think about the ESAB Multimaster 260? They have a jessie james signature series! lol

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

If you are doing mostly body work, a 115v unit will be fine. My Lincoln has never shut down on me when I am welding, even on the max output setting. I use to pop the house breaker with it all the time, but I put it on its own circuit and no more problems.

If you can afford a bigger unit and plan to weld thicker stuff, then one of those dual voltage units sounds like a good plan.

And I have heard the ESAB stuff is good, just have no idea what a good price on it is.

9. tRustyK5

I haven't used ESAB often enough to form an opinion one way or the other. They're prolly just fine, yet I'd stick with Miller or Lincoln anyways. Consumables and parts for either a Lincoln or miller are going to be pretty easy to find...and maybe not so easy with an ESAB or other brand.

Rene