Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kinda dumb, kinda pointless

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireplug, May 25, 2006.

1. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

With NOS the rpm's increase right? A friend and I are disagreeing on this.

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

thats kinda a loaded question.... Lets take scenerio #1 You are going up hill at 75mph, foot to the floor, and cant gain any more speed, You hit the nos botton and then your rpms/speed will increase. scenerio 2 your drag racing, you punch it when the tree turns green, and hit the nos at the same time, your rpms will raise faster but your still going to be (basicly) shifing at the same rpm. know what i mean?

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

when the mud bog trucks hit the little bleeder valve and inject it, I can't really hear a change in idle speed. And all the trucks there wind out like crazy.. but as far as Idle RPM's, I haven't really been able to tell a difference by ear. but I dunno :confused:

4. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm okay. Let's say you are in your Rice Mobile, in 5th gear, top speed, and you need a little more...In that scenerio it seems obvious to me that your rpms's will increase.

But I think what you are saying is that NOS 'in use' at any given speed you will be turning fewer rpms than you would be at that speed 'not using NOS'?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't have the real world experieince, but anywya, to my knowledge, no. Maybe a few RPM but that would be a product of the extra horses. Nitrous just makes more power at a given RPM. It doesn't extend the RPM range. Its nothing at all like in "Gone in 60 seconds" when hes topped out at 120mph, hits the Nitrous and BAM 160!!!! or however fast he goes.

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

No, the injection of nitrous (NOS is a brand name :surepal: ) does not increase engine rpm - it increases power output which in turn causes an increase in rpm.

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Yeah, sure I get that the rpms are a by product. To rephrase, if you are doing 60 mph with nitrous, and 60 mph without nitrous which would be turning higher rpms?

I was thinking that with any given size of engine that it isn't the force of explosion (total energy released) within the chamber but the number of explosions per minute that increases the vehicles speed.

8. chosen(1)

chosen(1) 1/2 ton status

Neither. The rest of your driveline has set gear ratios that nitrous cannot effect. Given it is in the same gear each time the engine will be turning the same rpm's.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Unless you have a really bad trans or clutch, then who knows :haha:

10. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure which is gonna turn out worse this thread or Canmore's eventual going postal in the lounge. But I realy would enjoy watching somebody spray a stock 350 with a 250 shot and a non-lockup 700R4

11. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Holy Good Guy Above, are you comparing this post to "Pretty in Pink"? Am I being that retarded? Cuz I'll seriously drop it, if it is at all comparable to HER...:eek1:.

And for anyone that doesn't understand what we are talking about...do yourself the BIGGEST FAVOUR EVER and don't try to find out. Seriously.

12. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

My last statement my have been a little harsh.

My understanding of horsepower is that its a byproduct of torque x rpm. There are many ways to get there. Just spraying nitrous into an engine won't automatically make it run a higher rpm or allow an engine not built for it turn an excessive rpm. The rpm's go up because you are making more power with nitrous than just gasoline assuming you spray it at partial throttle

13. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

OK lets think logically here, all NOS is, Is compressed oxygen and nitrogen, it gets sprayed into a combustion chamber, ignition sets off the burn, tempurature of air/fuel mixture now exceeds 600 some odd degrees and nitrogen and oxygen now seperate, nitogen does not burn, Oxygen acts as an accelerant to speed the burn along, now you must have more fuel ready to be burned, available. also the extra fuel acts as a coolant to cool down the high temperature of this excessively hot burn, this is why NOS or what ever you younger guys call it, must be correctly measured to make it work for you. to much NOS, not enough fuel= burned pistons and broken other things, most guys that run this crap profesionally have a rev limiter to keep all the spinning things intact. there is a lot more to it than that, but thats the basic concept. more fuel, needs NOS to make it work, and vice versa. all this equals more power due to more fuel being burned in the same combustion cycle.

14. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

"NOS" IS A BRAND NAME:mad: Please stop calling Nitrous Oxide NOS it's soooo RICER we don't call ALL carburetors Holley or Edelbrocks do we?

15. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

No but I call all facial tissue. Kleenex! It's ok, let it go....:D

16. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Ok so it is the power released by the explosion in the chamber is greater because of the increased volatility of the fuel air mixture, thus it drives the pistons with greater force? That is where the increase in power is coming from?

I'll drop this soon I promise...

17. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Think of it this way, Nitrous is a supercharger in a bottle. More air molecules + more fuel = more power. simply enough explained...

After that being said nitrous is about the stupidest power adder ther is, reasons being:
    1. Have to keep spending money to refill
    2. Only provides power when you hit the button
    3. Its gay:p:
    4. Theres a nos sticker on every freakin import:rolleyes:
    5. Did i mention it was gay:crazy:
    6. Only prodives power at wot, a supercharger may cost 1500-2500 bucks but you get the power all the time, at any throttle level, no bottle to fill, looks cooler and it provides safer(for your motor) power

18. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Im pretty sure what you asking is the same basic question as Which is heavyer a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? At 90 mph if your doing 3500 rpm without nos then at 90 mph with nos youl still be doing 3500 rpm.

oh ya NOS NOS NOS NOS NOS:p: its just easyer to say.

19. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have nitrous on my snowmobile.... does that count?

redlodge06.jpg