Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

kinda fixed my problem

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Prembird, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Hey all its me again... From my last post i made i had said that the 12's in the truck sounded like a single 10... well im here to report that after removing alot of the factory sound deading material in the truck it is coming around to sound like it is supposed to... Basically now it vibrates the hell out of you but the sonic sound still isnt quite there yet... Oh yea... im back up and running on the net again.. so im back to answers questions.. hehehe.. laterz all

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Prem,

Are you SURE that you don't have one of them wired out-of-phase....? I know that it's an obvious question and we should all know better. You don't even have to admit it if you discover that's what happened......!!! [​IMG]

Is it one enclosure with two subs sharing air space, or a divided box.....or two seperate boxes? If the subs were in seperate air space you could just disconnect one and see if it gets LOUDER.....That would sure be a giveaway!! [​IMG]

Anyway, I hope you find it.....

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

3. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

I thought of that also... It is 2 subs, one box, each with its own airspace... The subs are in phase with each other... I have done alot of research on this problem.. come to find out its common on these cars due to all the sound deading material in the trunk... There was about an inch thick just one the back seat alone.. Even more on the rear deck of the car... Right now you get the vibrations of the two 12's just not the boom of them... i am going to change the box to a ported enclosure and postion them differently.. Right now they are facing toward the back of the car... just got to play with it till i get the sound i want....

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

4. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

is your box sealed good? or is it the size for 2 12s or one 10? is the port correct?

just some quick questions.

91 K5 and 73 Cobalt http://brettmcox.rockcrawler.com

5. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Yes the box is sealed good.. There are no air leaks.. Its made out of 3/4 in. mdf.... The box design is a sealed enclosure for 2 12's.. Each side is seprate from the other and sealed very well... I have talked to alot of local installers and they all say the same thing.. Its the car that it is installed in that is causing most of the problem (84 lincoln mark VII).... They tell me that all the sound deading material in the car is what is causing it.. I have removed the deading material on the rear deck and the rear of the seat making a pretty good improvement in sound quality, volume, and pressure effect (how it feels when the bass hits)... The other suggestions that they have given me is to remove more of the sound deading material, build a ported enclosure, and remove all un-needed metal from the truck... Since i am not to keen on the idea of cutting the metal out of the trunk and i want to keep as much of the sound deading material as i can that leaves me with trying a different box design...

As you can tell.. when i first installed all of it in my dad's garage one night i figured it would sound really good.. well the test in the garage did really good... Well after backing the car out and starting to tune it is when it sounded like a single 10 in the trunk instead of 2 12's... well in the garage i had the trunk of the car open to make sure everything powered up and moved right... Well drove home kinda pissed that it wasnt sounding like it was supposed to right off... but have fixed some of that problem.. Now it vibrates you pretty good but the boom (to the ears) isnt there.. .

If you or anyone else can think of anything that i missed let me know...

Prembird

6. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Ok. I have run into this. these are two methods I used to make it sound better. 1) if the subs are in thr trunk, cut or use the factory speaker location and put ports from the trunk into the vehicle. this will allow more air movement and make it much louder. Also try adding some poly fill to the speakers and see if that helps.

</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blueknight.alloffroad.com>http://blueknight.alloffroad.com</a>
    "If First you don't succeed, Destroy all attempts you've tried"

7. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

I have removed the rear deck speakers, and have added polly fill to the box... neither really helped out alot... As for porting it threw the rear deck.. i thought of that also, but i dont want to get into a band-pass type of box due to the fact that i listen to to many types of music to keep it around the tuning freq. of the ports... Now i have heard my subs in a ported encloser that put out about double the sound output so i am thinking i am going to just build one of those and see what happens... Worst case is i put this box back in and use the new box in the truck, or vise versa...

Prembird