Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

kinda funny emissions test today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Jul 8, 2006.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It was time for my annual emissions test for my 81 Jimmy. I've had issues in the past just because it's a diesel with a wide ratio manual tranny...it's easy to lug it brutally and make it puke smoke (= fail)

I put a throttle stop on it so WOT is only about 65% of WOT. It's well hidden and works like a charm.

Anyways, the E-test for diesels here is a 4 minute long dyno run. Steady cruise, part throttle simulated mild grade, decel to about 5 mph...then a WOT pull to just under 60 mph. :rolleyes:

I roll up with the 39.5's, and get guided onto the rollers and exit my truck. they make you stand in a booth while a 'tech' does the test in your vehicle.

The tech in this case is an East Indian gentleman who looks pretty nervous for some reason. I can't hear what he is saying, but my guess was he was not wanting to do the test and was finding everything he could to moan about...including how hard it'll be to climb into my truck. All of a sudden i see this female tech walk over to my truck, yank open the door and jump in like it's absolutely no big deal...then stuffs it in gear and spins the rollers a few times. She gets out all smiles and is openly laughing at the East Indian fella.

He is very unhappy with the tire size as well as the side lugs...and doesn't like where my tailpipe is either. Finally he walks over and i see him talking to the manager, pointing and making an ass of himself for almost 10 minutes. At the end of it he comes back, throws the exhaust hose on my truck, revs and holds it at 1500 rpm in nuetral for less than 10 seconds and hops out. Next thing everything is being unhooked, he gets me out of the booth and tells me i passed...

:haha: :haha: :haha:

The diesel test only tests for maximum opacity which is just the density of the smoke. At idle you can't get it to smoke which makes it doubly funny. The last straw for this guy was when he went to double check my VIN number. He goes to open my door when I told him the VIN is up on the dash (he wasn't very tall) He threw up his hands, gave me the test results and told me to leave.

Max opacity this year? 1.9%. anything over 30% is a fail here and usually my truck comes in around 22-24% if they aren't too chicken to drive it.

With any luck i'll get the same guy next year. :p:

Rene

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The East Indian fella was probably a nervous newbie at performing smog tests.

3. tRustyK5

I've had a few techs refuse to dyno the truck over the last few years...but the last three years they've always just done the dyno test without comment. I just thought it was funny to see the chick hop into the truck like it was no big deal...and of course getting pretty much a free pass is always a nice bonus.

Rene

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

a free pass at the smog station? or a free pass at the chick? i thought you were married....

:wink1:

5. tRustyK5

Could you explain your joke to me please?

:)

Rene