Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kinda Garage but not really.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by justhorsinaround, Sep 2, 2006.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Ever have a cutting disk explode?

Hurts lots. Only a couple of little cuts thankfully. Feels like I've been shot with a b.b. gun.

Moral of the story.....

....always pay attention to where the really fast spinning skinny 4 and a half inch epoxied rock is.:crazy:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

they suck, I use those sanding disks on my grinder and when they let go watch out. Always make sure you pull and drag against edges and not push into them.

3. justhorsinaround

No kiddin. This time though I just wasn't paying close enough attention and kind of banged it against an edge.

Well back out to see if I can do it again.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A machinist at work had one explode on him a couple weeks back. It was a 3/64" thick "Zipcut" disc which he had on some offshore air sander. the cheap air sanders spin at ~19,000 rpm, and the disc is only rated for 12,500 rpm.

As soon as the disc freewheeled it let go. A chunk of the disc hit the guys forearm leaving a gash bone deep and 3" long. :eek1: :eek1: took 14 stitches to close which left a pretty nasty scar. Gotta give him credit, he was back at work the next day. :bow:

i had one explode on me a few years back, the piece hit me in the upper chest area...through my coveralls, through my pack of cigarettes and finally stopped by my Zippo lighter. It dented the lighter so bad I could no longer remove the inside to refill it...

I still use Zipcut disc's on air sanders, but not on the cheap type. My CP spins at 13,000 max.

The other reason they grenade is if they've been damaged, which is easy to do to the thin ones.

Rene

5. justhorsinaround

Well that would suck!!

Can't find a couple of the pieces yet.:doah:

On the upside, I'm kinda sorta after a fashion almost gettin the hang of welding sheet metal.:crazy:

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Many small tack welds and a wet rag to quench/cool the material...

Rene

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

A buddy of mine had one explode on him and it burried itself in his belly, Doc said it was a good thing he was fat...:eek1:

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

There IS a reason they put guards on the elec grinders, other than making it impossible to cut anything! My guard stays off unless I am using one of those thin cutting wheels-then it goes back on.

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah exactly, in his case he was cutting something he couldn't get to and his boss told him he could take it off...

10. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

But they don't make a gaurd for 7 1/2" blade to fit a 4 1/2 grinder:haha::haha:

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Oh.Yaaa....

I've had them disintergrate too unfortunately..never got "stuck" with any large shrapnel ,its always been bits and peices that burrow under the skin,and need to be pried back out,much like broken glass!..they sting and burn a lot like slag from a cutting torch, when the steel "pops" and blows a shower of molten metal into the skin..OOOWWWW!..:mad:

I sometimes use those 7-1/2" metal cutting circular saw blades in my 9" electric grinder to cut off bolts ,like leaf spring U bolts or shackle bolts..I had one of those wheels snag while cutting ,and a big chunk flew off and stuck in a plywood wall nearby--just like a one of those chinese throwing stars!:eek1: .--
    Glad that wall wasn't my NECK!..:yikes: thats what I get for using a grinder as a cut off saw!....

I did have one of those stick on DA sanding discs fly off at hi rpm,and stick into my head once!--it was like the Mythbusters "deadly playing card" episode I watched yesterday..stuck right in,penetrated a good 1/4" !

:crazy: