Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

kinda off topic, but......Any CO K5ers heading up to Burning Man?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DzrtRat67, Aug 14, 2001.

1. DzrtRat67

DzrtRat67 Registered Member

We're gonna be making the trip again this year in the beast, would love to meet any who are going.
    For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, go check out burningman.com ...it's NOT a 4wd gathering, although there are alot of interesting contraptions. Anyway..if anyone else is going, drop me a line...we'll toss a few back together.
    Joe

2. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I've thought about checking out this event in years past, but I haven't made it there yet. I've never met anyone who has gone to it either. What can you tell us about it? I know it isn't cheap, but if you are going again, there must be something that makes it worth it. If we get enough interest, maybe we could combine forces and build a 100 foot tall K5!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.burningman.com/>http://www.burningman.com/</a>

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

From what I've heard it's like Woodstock without the bands *L* If you get a chance the go (I haven't had the chance myself)

4. DzrtRat67

DzrtRat67 Registered Member

Went last year for the first time... geeze, not enough room here, or typing prowess on my part to even begin to explain! Truly life changing for us...not that our lives are any diff now, but I certainly look at life (and art) totally different now...kinda gave me a "what the hell, just do it" attitude as well as an appreciation for more diversity than you'd find at a ACLU/MillionMan/gay pride on St. Patty's day march...or something of that nature.... hell..even the Green Party folks up there were accepted! (hehehehe...)
    Like woodstock w/o the bands??? Nope...Like woodstock with many diff kinds of music, 24 hours a day for a week!...
    yeah..it is pricey... but well worth it IMHO... must be fully self contained for a week...no vending allowed anywhere...you need something?...barter for it!... Must take all food, water, clothing and shelter for a week of freezing to 100 degree temps with sustained winds of 45 plus! Then pack out EVERYTHING you packed in....right down to your last cig butt. Radical!
    Playachicken.com is another good site.
    Solocollective.org is the camp I'll be in. (look for Joe in the profiles)

5. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

<font color=black>I recently stumbled onto the Burningman site and ended up spending the entire afternoon reading about it and looking at pictures. It sounds like an amazing experience beyond words. I won't be able to attempt it this year, but I'm seriously thinking about trying for 2002. It's calling to me...</font color=black>

<font color=black> "Where did all these people come from, and how soon can they leave..."
    -OLD 97's</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.batcave.net>www.k5.batcave.net</a>

6. aztec777

aztec777 1/2 ton status

Well, unfortunately it's become much more comercial in the last few years. I remember the first couple of years it was free. Free of money and inhibitions. Now the people that put it on figure they can make $$$ off of it, so they stick it to you. Still an awesome experience. My father-in-law always takes his 5th wheel(luxury out there) and we have a blast. You do have to pack everything out with you that you brought in and everything you own will be covered in a fine, white dust. A bitch to clean out of the inside of your vehicle. You'll be doing it for months.

Overall, it's a very different experience that I recommend. I don't think it will be worth going to in the next 5 years or so. Kinda like Sturgis got too big and money hungry. Too bad, really.

Just my $1.53 worth.

Steve

#########################################

I love it when people pull next to me in a car and point at my tire.

7. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Id have to say that my father-in-law is one of the last people I'd want to get naked with.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

8. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Now the people that put it on figure they can make $$$ off of it, so they stick it to you.

<hr></blockquote><font color=black>
    That's the first reference I've found to profiteering. from what I've researched it doesn't seem that bad, though I have yet to attend. Two or three hundred dollars doesn't seem too outrageous. Even in a spontaneous, temporary, anarchic and communal society, someone's got to chip in to pay for toilets, clean up, ambulances, municipal fees, etc. Otherwise, only wealthy individuals or corporations could afford to organize an event of this sort:
    <font color=orange>THE TIME-WARNER BURNINGMAN FESTIVAL--BROUGHT TO YOU BY AOL AND CNN</font color=orange>
    As well, with the full time job of organizing the event, the people behind it still need to support themselves. I have a feeling they're not exactly getting wealthy doing this.

I know this is certainly not 4x4 related, but as long as the discussion's begun, anybody got any thoughts on this?</font color=black>

<font color=black> "Where did all these people come from, and how soon can they leave..."
    -OLD 97's</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.batcave.net>www.k5.batcave.net</a>

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah it costs a fortune to put it on. They have to carry insurance, pay for fire and law people, Get permits and other government stuff even though it is on private property.. It ends up to cost something in in the 7 figures. Thats why it is kind of pricy.
    The BM fest did indeed use to be free and was basicly a big altunertive culture party.
    I think it first started on a beach in Calif.. Some dude broken hearted over the loss of his girlfirend. Built a effigy of her new boy firend and set it on fire on the beach and every body partied till dawn.
    This grew into a yearly event and soon out grew the beaches of Calif.
    So it moved to a dry lake near Sand Mountain(awsome 4X4 spot) in Nevada. Where the party continued till the BLM made them stop.
    It was then moved to its current location on a ranch in the Black Rock desert where the madness continues................
    But I think it was a lot more fun when it was free and spontainous. I havent been to the BM in its current location. I went to one when it was a by Sand Mountain and free. Saw lots of things I never saw before LOL.

10. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

So how was it this year?

(Apologies for bringing a thread back from the dead... )

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires