Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kinda quiet around here lately

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Yukon Jack, May 25, 2004.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Been kinda quiet around here lately. I'd post some K20 progress pics, but, well, body guy has not been too motivated lately. Did get a call this afternoon that the cab was being removed today to clean up the firewall after my recent /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif so maybe with luck I will have some pics soon of some progress. So close - but yet so far from being ready to drive.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I hear ya YJ....I too have no real updates...waiting for my engine/long block to be completed then I can install it, then I can put it all together. Now the question is will it be ready for BlazerFest??? May be going in my S10 /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    I can wait /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. Yukon Jack

I did start pulling an engine from a 78 3/4 ton parts truck that I recently bought. I will keep the engine just because and I am gonna put the axles under the 70 K5. Hope to do that soon.

Guess I have some other good news. A while back we talked about me buying a Rockwell T221 to go in the K5. Got it bought and then recently picked up an NP205 with adapter and 465 tranny for $100 - so I will just keep the T221 for a spare and put the NP205 in the K5. I thought $100 was a bargain, usually see them around here for $400 or so. Should get the NP205 setup in a couple weeks, the seller is gonna bring it down to me on a trip he has scheduled. Can't beat that!

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sweet Deal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I love my SM465/205 combo, good stuff /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

I still have to make the time to order my bikini top...aaaaaaaa

5. Yukon Jack

Which soft top do you have? I'm gonna order the Fastrac before too long.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have the original Kayline Snap top, basically the STC snap version.
    I just printed out the order form and need to get the mesurments....what material are you gonna pick? Color? Do you think Black is too hot?

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

The seamark stuff looks kinda interesting /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    [​IMG]

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

It is Sunbrella with an inside layer.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    [​IMG]

Might be the ticket???

9. Yukon Jack

I decided to go with the Sinbrella in black - hope I don't cook. Ask Tony about the color he got in the prototype.

10. ljbear

ljbear Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Did get a call this afternoon that the cab was being removed today to clean up the firewall after my recent /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark what was the final change on the motor? I lost track of this and never heard how you remedied the problem. For some strange reason I find myself needing a BB and removing all the drivetrain again to put it in. Is this an illness or hobby /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. Yukon Jack

Here's the fix I ended up doing - cutting the firewall and increasing my body lift. Later I will move the engine forward but just couldn't easily do that at the time.

[​IMG]

Body guy is supposed to be fabing up some sheetmetal today to cover the carnage. Carpet and firewall padding will cover the inside and really won't be very noticeable on the engine side once everything is in place.

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahaha Typo Sinbrella or Sunbrella hehehe it's on the order form as a Sin... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ya I am ordering the same but in Forest Green..thought I would add more color to my ride...I have green on my K5 allready so it should match and maby not as hot as black?

13. Yukon Jack

Last night I pulled an engine from a 78 3/4 ton. I will save the engine and am then going to put the 3/4 ton axles in the K5. Plus will use the power brakes in the K5. The K5 has drums up front so it will be a nice upgrade to go to power discs. Plus I have some 8 lug rims and good mud tires that I can run on the K5 for now.

14. Yukon Jack

Burt, are you still fitting the newer engine crossmember in your K5? I took some pics of the engine crossmember in the 78 parts truck - let me know if you want to see them.

15. Yukon Jack

Sinbrella, dang, I thought that sounded like a strange name, I never looked at the website to see the correct spelling - Sunbrella makes a lot more sense! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes sir I am, I ended up 'modifying' /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif the engine mount monting plates to get them to fit into the inside of the frame rail. I just made a cut in the plate to allow me to bend the top of the plate down so it would slide in the rail. That top part bolts to the top of the rail so it still will be pleanty strong. I decided not to drill any holes in the frame until I get the BBC to make sure I have the crossmember and frame mounts in the perfect spot /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    When I start I will post up pics, duno when I get the Long Block but I am hopeing it will be soon /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

17. Yukon Jack

That's a good idea not to drill the holes yet. We ought to start a bet on who will be on the road first, you or me.

Will enjoy seeing how you get your bb to fit - hope it works better for you then it did for me!

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahaha well my plan is to have it doen intime for BalzerFest that is the end of June...I think I'm cuttin it short /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    I am banking on the fact I will have to customize /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif my firewall a bit. So far that looks to be the only way to make it work in the SBC location /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Well at least all my prep work is just about finnished, the Hydro stuff is in,fuel lines are almost finnished,painting is pretty much done, gage cluster is done,etc....

I droped my hood and F'ed up the paint on the out side so I may now do some rattle can design, ODrab flames maby, then down the road get a paintjob that will last..

Burt

19. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

After rebuilding my engine, xfer case, tranny, redoing the gauge cluster, buying Corbeau seats and getting a roll cage built, I'm broke. I'm looking at another 6 grand to get finished, and will hopefully have that save up in another few weeks. It'll be good to have the ol' girl roadworthy again.

20. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

hey yj

i have no updates either. i had to leave early for recall. my wife is gonna send you the templates for the brackets. the steel is in the shop but you can get some from a machine shop a lot cheaper than she could ship that piece. pm me your addy. oh yeah truck looks awesome.

69k5