Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

King pin Pre-Load ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Dec 1, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I just got my new bushings and springs from ORD and I want to add xtra pre-load to the bushings. I am only running 37s so I do not really expect to have DW. Question is will adding the old spring cup to the top of the spring add enough pre-load or do I need something thicker. Basically there will be a spring cup on both sides of the spring.

Thanks

Ira

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I just rebuilt mine too. I would think that the spring retainer would be too thin to really do anything for the preload.

3. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

First off I only have 35" tires and had really bad DW, as for the retainer being thick enough it should be fine. After replacing the springs and the nylon bushings I tried putting thicker washers in and my blazer ended up tracking really bad( the steering wheel wouldn't return to center on its own).

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i installed all new and never shimed with 38 bias swampers with no problems.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Use 1/16" thick 1/2" fender washers for shims. Try one per side at first and add more if you have DW...

Rene

6. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I had to do the same thing. Added one.....no change, added two...a little better but still was SCARY. Added a third after trying a few other things and drives perfect. Oh and this is with NO stabilizer or anything. I have a feeling if most people disconnected their stabilizer for a quick drive, they'd have death wobble. I even had a front end guy that said the stabilizer is needed. That wobbling is normal....the stabilizer takes care of all that :surepal:
    Almost like the spring rates for the king pin springs are different on different runs when they made them....I know they arent supposed to be...but something must have changed a little from batch to batch. Weird how some people need shims and some dont.

SweetK30....was this or without a stabilizer? And if with one...have your tried driving without it?

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I took my stabilizer off about a year ago when i got me HD tie rod from SKY. Never even thought twice about it.
    I replaced my springs, retainers, and bushings last month as i was starting to feel the DW a little bit. After getting all the old parts out and comparing them to the new ones i knew what the problem was.

DS spring was 1/4 inch taller than the old one
    PS spring was 1/8 taller than the old one
    --They were just worn out, not broken
    DS bushing was broken and badly worn
    PS bushing was worn a little bit

After replacing with new parts from Doug (Highonda on PBB) everything is better again. No shimming or stabilizer needed.

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I thought I had replaced the springs, but maybe not. I just got some new ones the other day and am gonna throw them in with no shims in the next few weeks and try it. The nylon bushings and everything were brand new, so I am fairly sure i replaced the springs also, but maybe not. When I take them out, I guess it will be obvious if the heights are different.