Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

King Pins From Hell!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I am in the process of rebuilding the king pins on my 60 and after finding out the king pins themselves were gouged to hell and back, I'm going to be swapping them out for new ones.

The problem is that they are just not budging. What is the best method to getting these bastages off?

Thanks to any advice offered.

2. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Try using a 9/16" lug nut for the allen fitting (fits pretty well) with a 1/2" socket wrench and a long pipe or something like that.

3. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

huge pipe wrench and a 5 ft. pipe over the handle to break loose

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Did all of that. It didn't go anywhere. I was just bending the 1/2" drive breaker bar of mine.

Will soaking in PB blaster and/or heating up the knuckle help any?

Any other trick that I'm missing?

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Did all of that. It didn't go anywhere. I was just bending the 1/2" drive breaker bar of mine.

Will soaking in PB blaster and/or heating up the knuckle help any?

Any other trick that I'm missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Keith was telling me about those when I was helping him with his 60. Says they are one with some ungodly amount of torque and people have cracked them and not got them loose.
    Try a combination of things. If it has a thread locker the heat should soften it. While it;s good and hot have sombody lean into it real good and have a second person smack the knuckle with a 2lb sledge like you would do to pop a ball joint.
    Just make sure the person leanin on the cheater is ready for it to give and doesn't run the cheater into the side of the truck and hurt themselves.
    That shock from the smack does wonders when you have some torque on it. Keith had been fighting to get the diff out of that 60 for a couple hours and I showed him that trick and it poped right out. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif