Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kingpin blues...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Doin a semi rebuild of the 60, wheelbearings, wheel seals, axles seals, and kingpin rebuild. I've got everything done except for the damn kingpins. When I was taking them apart, I was really really hoping that theyd be in good shape and I wouldn't ahve to change them out. But of course not, both of them are scarred up pretty good...:( So I've got the truck in the shop at High Angle workin on it, using some of Jesse's tools. First thing I tried was a lugnut in the kingpin, and a 7/8 impact wocket on the lug nut with Jesse's 1/2" ratchet. Hit it with some heat from the torch, then stuck a cheater on Jesse's ratchet. 1/2 Craftsmen ratchet exploded. So I welded the ratchet up solid, and tried again. Broke the handle of the ratchet. So I took stub of what was left and welded it into a 4' piece of 2 1/4x .375 wall dom. Tried again. Busted the 1/2" square drive part off inside the socket. Then I welded the lug nut to what was left of the ratchet. Tried again. Twisted the lug nut in half. :eek1:

All my tools are 80 miles away in my Gramps shop, just havent moved them up here yet. I've got all the 3/4 drive stuff I would need. I gave up after a couple hours of blowing stuff up. Tommorrow I'm gonna tackle it again...Any suggestions? :confused:

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Weld a huge nut on the end of the pin. Lotsa heat on the C. 3/4 breaker or impact, if the weld is good it will come out.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I used a 7/8" allen wrench and a 16 pound sledge hamer. Had both off in about 4 swings each.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've also heard of folks making a wrench from 3 or 4 feet of 7/8's hex stock. Just heat and bend it 90 degrees at one end.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Oh yeah, don't forget to tighten living snot out of the new ones. The spec is 600 ft/lbs as I recall. :eek1:

I guess that's why they're so difficult to remove... :rolleyes:

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Yep, I installed mine the same way I got them out. 7/8" allen key and about 4 hits each with the 16 pound sledge. No problems as of yet, 2 years later. Also used some anti-seze on the threads.

7. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Well, I bought a 7/8 allen wrench, and used a piece of my uninstalled rollcage about 6' long. Took maybe 50 lbs of force or so :D.

8. Zeus33rd

Were did you guys buy this 7/8" hex stock? I can get a 3/4 drive 7/8 impact socket from the Snap-On truck for like $50. I could try welding the nut to the kingpin to get the old one out, but then I still need to get the new one in there. Prolly just end up buying the socket. :eek1:

9. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

We've made a few out of 7/8" hex and a 7/8" - 3/4" drive socket lots of heat and out she comes. A few inches of hex bar is the cheap and dirty way to do it. I can make one here and send it to you for under $50 :thinking:

Jordan
    NWF

10. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I paid like $12 for my 7/8" allen wrench. Just can't find the damn thing on the net anymore. Will keep looking though.

11. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

12. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Joe, i bought a 7/8" allen wrench from Orchard Supply Hardware for about $13.00 and then ordered from work a 3/4" drive 7/8" impact socket then cut off a piece of the allen wrench so that it was just long enough to go in between the end of the king pin and the end of the socket then used a 4' cheaper bar and out it cam with the first pull. I have a Snap-on 3/4" drive 600 ft. lb. torque wrench to install the new king pin with so the 600 ft. tq. was no problem for me.

14. Zeus33rd

How much under $50? :crazy::haha:

Gimme a cost and I might just have ya do that. You could just send it to High Angle Driveline. I was hoping to get it buttoned up today, but it looks like I might just wait till after x-mas. I still need to replace the bearings/races in one of the hubs, thats something I can get done in the mean time. Thanks!

15. Zeus33rd

Did the Orchard place actually have it in stock in the store? How bout a Tractor Supply store? Hmmm...

16. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes, they had it in stock on the shelf. I walked in and found the allen wrench's then picked it up looked at the price and proceeded to the counter and paid for it.

Now that i think of it, i still have a good portion of the left over wrench in my tool box and could easily cut you off a piece and mail it to you. Let me know if you want me to do that unless you are wanting something quicker.

17. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I have seen them at Orchard as well.

18. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

got 7/8 allen from NAPA about 20.00

19. Zeus33rd

I found a 7/8" allen at Osh in Chico. $15. Stuck a 5' cheater on it and had the kingpins out in less than a minute, no heat required. :D Here's a pic of the allen with the bottle of Newcastle and the keyboard for size reference-
    [​IMG]

And the hosed kingpins-(big pic warning)
    [​IMG]

Unfortuneatley, I thrashed one of the lower kingpin seals trying to get it installed, so I couldn't get it finished. :mad: It's a bitch to do layin on your back and looking up at it. Anyways, no one in town had one, so where the hell can I get just the seal? Every place I called wanted to sell me an entire kingpin kit. A dealer?:crazy:

20. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I think the dealer would be the place to get them seperately. I got my seals with the whole kit.

Might try general places like Autozone, Napa, or Advance. They might have a seal kit, and not an entire rebuild kit.