Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

KingPin Question....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Jan 11, 2004.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

For the lower kingpin setup, if I do not drive the bearing race ALL the way in, and there is a tiny gap but I was still able to fit the knuckle over it all, will there be any severe adverse effects, or would I be able to get away with it. It was alreayd a humangous B1tch to drive it in to where I got it to.

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I would most definately drive the bearing race all the way in. If you are having death wobble problems, search for the DW thread and try some of the solutions listed there. You will cause more harm than good by not seating the race all the way. The weight of the vehicle will cause it to move and it will probably not move like you would want.

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

well my axle is in my garage right now. I am just rebuilding it. if anything wouldnt the weight of the vehicle push everything up?

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME...Don't take any shortcuts esp with the knuckle that holds the WHEEL ON THE AXLE.

Is the dust cap on the lower part of the inner knuckle still loose or is it tight. It is the lower kingpin race that holds the dust cap in. I just used a brass punch and alternated sides to install the race and it was smooth sailing for me. So if the domed dust cap is still loosed, the race has to be driven in farther...

Chris

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

get a real race driver set

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    get a real race driver set

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should he? The brass punch works just fine, if not better. And yes, I do own both seal and race driver kits. I use the punch on mostly everything and it does a better job.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so you think tapping around the edge is better then even pressure?

anyway think through what is the worst thing that can occur.
    if you assemble it and the race slips all the way seated all that will happen is the spring will relax to the factory spec hieght
    if this happens soon then the spring will probably not have suffered any adverse effects.

other areas would be the axleshaft alignment could be slightly off.

nothing drastic that I can forsee

I would remove the race and see what it is that made it difficult to install.
    rust? did you cock it and create a burr?
    they should not be that difficult to do, so something must be out of sorts
    IIRC the kingpin race isnt that large so a common driver set should fit, I think the hub races are at the limit of the set I used to own
    I went whole hog and bought the football shaped head race removing punch from SnapOn
    I think I got to use it twice before my HD mechanic buddy thieved it for his work toolbox