Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kingpins loose, need help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Kell, Jul 27, 2005.

1. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

First off I did a search but it looks like I'm going to need to start with the basics on this. Anyways jacked up the front noticed lots of play, located it as coming from the lower kingpins. Started taking apart one side and was hoping for tips/directions/advice as to doing this job for the first time. Axle is a mid '70s dana 44. Thanks in advance.
    -Kell-

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If its a D44 you're talking about balljoints.
    Pretty common if your running bigger tires.
    Best bet is to buy or rent the balljoint press. or take it to a machine shop that has the tools to do it.

Parts will be probably around $100 for new balljoints for both sides.

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it's a d44..and has ball-joints...
    I just hammer them out.....without hitting the knuckle.
    I FREEZE the ball joints in the frig (that makes them about .002 smaller)...
    then I carefully hammer them in..with a tube that just catches the outside lip
    on the ball joint.

No press needed.

4. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

I'm assuming the easiest way to get to the nut on the lower is to pull the axle shafts? Also anyone know were to get greasable replacements in an attempt for longer life. Thanks for the help and hopefully I'll be back on the road soon :bow: .
    -Kell-

5. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Yup, you'll need to pull the shafts to get at the lowers. I'd recommend renting or borrowing a Ball joint tool as well.

A good quality replacement (Moog, TRW, etc) will have grease fittings.

6. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

This is starting to sound easier and easier, thanks for the info and advice. Sounds like I'll be backin the mud sooner then I was thinking. I'll report on progress.....
    -Kell-

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

It is rather easy, but time consuming. Here's a little write-up you can read so you have a better understanding how to do it and how to prepare yourself.