Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kirby vacuum cleaners

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thatK30guy, Feb 18, 2004.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Whats everybody's take on these vacuums? We had a salesman demonstrate one here tonight and we were impressed. Sure cleaned up the carpet and furniture real well. Even cleaned our mattress of the dead skins from so many years of build up.

Are they good vacuums? Best on the market? What kind of price can one expect to pay? I know what the salesman said, but I want to know what you guys have heard or paid for, if you have one. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

However much they wanted, I bet you can get it for way less on E-bay.

My wife had one of the ladies from her work come show us a Rainbow vacuum. It was pretty cool and really picked up alot of stuff, but was way too expensive for a vacuum cleaner.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

My wife's mother has a Rainbow, an slightly older one, and its a total POS. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I hated it. Maybe the newer ones are better but I'm not convinced on Rainbows.

Our current vac is a Hoover Windtunnel. $300 brand new. After watching the demo and side by side action with the Kirby, the Hoover is a POS and does not pic up $hi!t at all. The salesman gave good explaination why Hoovers didn't do a good job and he was right. He even offered to take the Hoover in trade.

Gonna go check out eBay right now..... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Folks still have a really old one that sucks better than my brand new Dirt Devil. But they are expensive, ebay sounds like a really good option.

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

my bro sold for them for a few years, great vaccumes but yeah, e-bay has some cheap

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

My mom has had one forever. Still works good. Tried to steal it for my apartment, but that didn't happen. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

7. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Kirbys are way better than department store vacuums. A step up as far as vacuums go. The guy vacuumed with our vacuum then the Kirby, I think it picked up more than ours did after ours vaccumed twice. The vacuum sold itself as all good products do. The have some crazy ceramic magnet 40 year motor or something like that, bunch of attachments, self propelled, its chrome and has a headlight too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It is a killer vac. I use it all the time. We haggled the guy down and it still was mucho dinero /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I think its worth it in the long run...

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Consumer Reports tests vacuums, and in recent years, many have out done the expensive Kirby units.

One in particular is the Sharp brand unit. Both of my parents have one. A little over $200 and its awesome compared to any other.

9. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

It's a damn expensive vacume.!!! I've had a Dirt Devil MVP for like 7 years now and it works great and didn't cost as much as a Dana 60

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Did a fair bit of research on vacs last month (needed to replace the Dirt Devil I had - good suction, awful desgn). Kirby's are good vacs, but many are overpriced. That said, vacuum cleaners are a category of product in which you pretty well get what you pay for. The key indicator of a decent vac is CFM, not amps. Uprights are better for carpet but there are many excellent cannisters with turbo brushes - easier to use IMO. Most cheaper uprights have a HEPA filter on the left side of the vac, so when you are using it (if you're right handed), hot air blows on your legs. Very annoying. the dirt devil I had was always falling over onto my leg whenever I had the use the hose instead of just upright. More annoyance. When I went to look at other brands, i found that most of them in the same price range were designed the same way.

I decided to go with a better vac. I paid for what i got but just like a good shop tool, it is worth every penney. I went with the Miele Blue Moon. I will likely not have to buy another vac for decades. Highest CFM I could find.

Here are some links that may help eith what might work for you:

About vacs

Vac comparison

11. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

kirbys do kick ass but they are way spendy but the good thing is they last forever my grndmother has one she got like 25 years ago still works awesome and my mom has one she got like 10 or 15 years ago still works better than my dirt devil. so i fyou dont mind spending a bit for it go for it but e-bay is the way to go for a better price

12. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Seen them go for over a grand with all the attachments.overpriced if you ask me.We just bought a new Bissel bagless for a 100.00. Works Great..........

13. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

My Mom has been using the same kirbys now for over 30 years. They are great, but they are very expensive. It will most likely be your last vacuum cleaner that you will buy. You could get one cheaper on E-Bay then a salesman. I have a Sharp that I like and is the best one out there according to Consumer reports. My moms kirby is better then my Sharp, but I can't afford a kirbys.

14. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Yea, they last forever. A friend has one. I once was gonna sell Filter Queen vacuums but after one weekend I came to my senses, hehe. I really liked the product though but new was $1800. Heck no /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I just went to Sears last weekend and bought a Craftsman shop-vac and that does a good job plus I can use it to pump water hehe.

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I picked up an old Kirby with a bunch of attachments for a whopping $12 at an auction. I use it to vacuum the carpet in the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Kirbys Suck /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

They're great, but DO NOT buy new. They're over a grand. I bought a used one for $200 12 years ago and it still rocks.

18. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought one about 5 years ago. Paid 1400 for it. Still works great. It has a nice shiny chrome hood too. My wifes stepmom has one of the first models, like 60's and still uses it and works great.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Used to have a Kirby vacuum cleaner. Great vac. only issue we had was it was hard to connect the hose. I personally like the "canister" type vacuums. Has a "Sears" when I was a kid and to this day haven't found one that can compair.

20. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Its tough to believe, but I actually used to have a girlfriend named Kirby.

We dated when we were 13-14 so I never did get to find out if she sucked like one, but we were good friends all through high-school and the reports that I got were all positive. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif