Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kkkreak when braking and accelerating

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudstud, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

76 K5 with 44 and 12 bolt. This just started last Wednesday. When I apply the brakes, just before I come to a complete stop I hear a couple creaks. Then when I go again it creaks a couple more times. [Creak] is defined here as a metalic sound. Like something is binding then released, binding then released and veries slightly with the amount of momentum that is stopping. A friend walking next to the truck really thinks it's coming from the back. Friday when I'd hit the brakes hard the brake light would come on and the peddle would feel spongy and they'd fade. We've inspected the driveshaft and it seems fine. Both u-joints are only a couple months old. Verified the axle u-bolts were torqued to 150 lbs. We pulled the drums and noticed the flat metal flap that engages the star adjuster wheel wasn't engaging the star wheel on either side. I replaced those with new hardware put it back together but then the on the test drive the light would stay lit and the brakes were awful, plus the creak was still there. I ended up replacing the brake shoes and the wheel cylinders in hopes of solving this. The brakes are great now and the lite is off but it still does the creaking thing. I was thinking maybe it's the rear springs making the creaking noise. I have the stock springs with a superlift 2" add-a-leaf and 3.5" blocks. Anyone have this noise? Any suggestions as to what to check next?

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

check you transfer case crossmember mounts. mine was doing the same thing and it ended up being loose bolts on my crossmember.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

This might sound weird, but a friend of mine discovered that the seat mounts were pulling loose from the floor in his K5. The back and forth of accelerating and braking gave a metallic "bong" sound....coulda sworn it was a broken spring mount, or muffler hitting the frame by the sound.

Something to check out if the usual suspects don't reveal anything.

4. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Don't think it's the seats but I'll check as well as the tranny member mounts. I did check the motor mounts though. Anyone else with more ideas on what could be causing this noise? I'd hate to just keep driving it until something breaks. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif The bright side to that is then I'll know what to fix. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif