Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kleenex/Tailgates don't Mix...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Apr 13, 2001.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Kleenex/Tailgates don\'t Mix...

Looks like the last time I used the tailgate down ( 3-4 months ago) apon putting the gate up a box of kleenex got lodged between the bottom of the gate and the floor....I didn't notice until recently and though that maybe the latch/lock was broken...well...after reefing on the damn thing B4 noticing what was up I think I might have stretched/broken the cable or whetever it is that realeses the gate...Anyone know how to fix this so I don't have to wipe snot on my hands anymore :)...For real though...This is going to suck not being able to use the gate this summer!! I need help/advise...

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Kleenex/Tailgates don\'t Mix...

You'l have to climb in the back over the seats and remove the acces cover (20 screws) Then you will see two rods going to each corner. Give these a good tug while someone pushes inn on the tailgate. Lube everything upp while your there and it shoul be fine!.

[​IMG] If your not living on the edge, your taking upp to much space![​IMG]

3. Daveytree

Daveytree Registered Member

If the suggestion above doesn't fix the problem, just give those rods a little bend in the center. That decreases the distance between the handle and the latches.

[​IMG]If you don't like my driving, <font color=red> get back on the road.</font color=red> [​IMG]

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

Hey, that sounds like something that would happen to me...

:)

Jeff

5. Logan

Logan Registered Member

I finally broke down and took the gate apart today -- It's the first time I've had it open in two years! It took me and a buddy beating on it for about 15 minutes to get it to come unstuck, and we were finally rewarded with about 1LB of re-crystallized road salt and a whole bunch of rust.

Time to track down the wire brush and get it all back together! Thanks for the tips!

-Al.