Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Klune V vs Doubler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by M-1028, Feb 11, 2005.

1. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

Im in the market for more gear reduction. I cant decide on a klune V or a doubler, the klune V seems to be more complete and a little cheaper because in most cases you dont have to buy adapters or linkage seperate. With the doubler you usually have to modify one of the cases witch cost more money unless you buy everything from ORD which is around $3000. Klune V's go for around $1500, but Im not too familiar with them and dont know how they hold up. Any info would be helpful, thanks

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

They make the GOliath version, which is suited for our application.

What transfer case will you be running with the Klune?

3. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

Im trying to find a 6 bolt round 32 spline 205.

4. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

Don't know where you are getting your prices. I just did a doubler for $1700 total, including driveshafts, upgrading to 32spline input on the 205, upgrading to 32 spline front output, and triple stick shifters. All parts from ORD.

5. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

Did you buy both rebuilt cases from them that adds about $1200?

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Check the vendor forum. You can have your cake and eat it too, with his double transfer case setup.

I'm going to be running one on mine before summer.

Northwestfab is the name of the shop.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes but you get lower gear ratio options with a Klune. To come close you'd need a 3:1 203 and that adds about another $1000 to your doubler cost. What is the weight difference of the Klune to the 203 range box?

8. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

The weights should be around the same if I use a 205 with the Klune V.

9. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I vote Klune/205 mainly because it will take you 2 weeks to get the Klune and 2 months to get your tripple stick shifters from ORD.

As mentioned, the other benifits are lower gearing, no extra shifters to buy, the Klune is cable operated so it is easy to mount.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd get the doubler from Northwest if thats the way you go, like said, ORD takes quite a bit of time sometimes.

11. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I've never had to wait for anything from ORD and having first hand expirence with them i vote doubler. i did mine for about 1700 (doubler, shifters,2 junkyard tranny/tc combos and rebuild 400 and local drivelines.)

a nod to the klune though is my friend has one behind a BB ford/c6/205/ klune and 44's and is friendly w/ the gas pedal and it has held up fine. he is into it about 2200 w/ high angle drivelines.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm going doubler, I haven't decided which company yet. I will when I have cash in hand and am really ready. I like the NWF one but the whole 2 piece and non heattreated shaft still has me a little on edge. My rig is getting a 383, I decided to extend out the wheelbase and shes gonna be real skinny pedal familiar.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You hear about a Klune blowing up about as often as you hear about a 203 gear reduction unit blowing up. It has probably happened, but its pretty damn rare and with good maintenence, 99.99% wouldn't frag either one. Strength really isn't much of an issue IMO, they are both beef.

The half-03 can be had cheap, thats its main benefit. The Klune isn't as cheap, but its easily clockable, cable shifted (always nice) and has lower gears too. IMO the Klune is the winner of the matchup. The only real benefit I see is that if you have everything but the adapter in-hand already, the doubler is cheaper. I don't see to much evidence that it is superior in any other way.

j

14. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

i will have info on the NWF doubler soon! mine is on the way as well as tcases. should be here monday or tuesday hopefully. as far as the shaft it is billet so it should be fine. i think they have overcompensated for the multi piece adaptor strength issues so that should be covered also. as far as customer service NWF has been awesome! i have dealt with kyle. any questions i have had he has answered quickly. any concerns just as quickly:D i will be running a th350/np203/np205. i will be posting many pics of tcases-adaptors-xmember mods-install hopefully within 2 weeks

15. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about doing the Klune Goliath myself, was going to go doubler route but since I just swapped in a SM465 / np205 combo and my NP203 is from a TH350 I think I need to convert about every damn thing and it would cost too much. I would rather spend the same money or less and get the 3:1 gearing. Anyone know what the total cost of the Klune Goliath and adapter for my transmission/tcase setup would be? I can't seem to find the adapter price anywhere and I am pretty sure I need one correcT? Do I have to mod my output on the sm465 and input on np205 still? :confused:

--Mark

16. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

HA, given enough time I always end up on these posts. I have been running my Kliune Atlass combo for going on 4 years now. No trouble at all from either. I love it and recomend it highly. Luke over at Klune is a good guy and they take good care of people.
    I did break the input shaft from the Klune to the Atlass when my 14 bolt explode, the concussuion broke ujoints, and what not all the way up the drive line. Anyways, the klune was a hair out of warranty ( 2 years and 1 month) the warranty is 2 years. Anyways the not only replaced the part but also upgraded me to the 31 spline shaft.[​IMG]

So there ya go, I love it.

17. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you go doubler I would recommend Wagoner Machine or Northwest Fab. After the less then stellar service and delivery time my buddy Matt experienced with ORD last fall getting his doubler and parts I wouldn't recommend them. I have also had service problems with them so I am anti-ORD. I will never spend another dime with them.

I wheel with a bunch of guys that run doublers and they work well. I wouldn't be affraid to run a Klune/205 though either. I don't think you can go wrong with a doubler or a Klune setup. I think that if you want to go to the 3:1 203 doubler it would be cheaper to get a Klune/205 setup.
    Harley

18. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

Sled,

Our mainshaft is heat treated 8620 billet steel. No worries there, its stronger than even factory parts!

Just had to straighten that out. :D

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

last we talked it wasn't so thats cool. Makes the choice easier.

20. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

If I were to do it all over again I would go with a klune. The extra gear options make it very apealing to me. A 5.3 crawl gear at the t-case (2.7 klune with a 1.96 NP205) is also a big advantage. I like my doubler, but already find myself wanting something a little slower.