Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Klune-V

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by richmmiller, Nov 11, 2005.

1. richmmiller

richmmiller Registered Member

Ok, so first off let me apologize for any stupid questions I have here. You see I'm a computer geek who loves 4wheelin by way of my friends last summer. I'm working on buying a K5 next week from a friend of a friend and have some questions.

What is a Klune-V? What is a dual transmission? What is a 383 stroker and is this engine something that I will have problems with?

I can build a worldwide network with my eyes closed but don't know the first thing about mechanics. I soooo look forward to working and learning with everyone in here!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

2. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

dual transmission? never heard of that, gues its possible. you sure its not susposed to be a dual transfercase?

oh and a 383 stroker. is a chevy 350 cubic inch engine, that has been "stroked" to 383 cubic inches. if built right these can be very nice motors, with a good amount of tourque

3. richmmiller

Doh

:doah: :doah:

You are so right. It's a dual transfer control case. See, I warned ya. But I am a quick learner. So the gear ratio is 4.10, I hope that makes sense. Would that be why he put in the 383 instead of changing the gear ratio?

4. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

the 4.10s are the ratios of the gears in the axles. i doubt thats why he put in a stroker, most likely he did it becasue he just wanted more power, more is better. right? :D

5. richmmiller

Again

is that why he wouldn't change the gear ratio.....he has put 35's on.

6. richmmiller

:d

Sorry, I must have posted right after you. I looked up 4.10. I found some site that said that as you go bigger on the tires you want to go lower on the gears. It said that many people try to put bigger motors in to compensate but that doesn't work.

Being a noob suck sometimes.

So back to dual transfercase. What is it and why do i need it? I will have to do the work myself so be prepared for many many questions. Something about an extra NP205????

7. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i don't know, its had to say why anyone does anything..

i have 35s and 4.10s also. It is an OK ratio for 35s but many guys here prefer 4.56 ratio when running 35s, and honestly if i had the money I would be running 4.88 ratio with my 35s.

i doubt he put the engine in because of the tire size and axle ratio. because it is a heck of a lot cheeper to re-gear than it is to build a 383 stroker

8. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

most likely he took a np203 and a np205 and mated them together. this gives you a really nice "crawling ratio" (lower gear). and you don't necessarily need it, but a lot of us want it..so your already ahead of the game :D

9. richmmiller

Nice

So what would it cost me to re-gear it? Better question for me is this too. So...what does re-gearing do for me? So I have 35's with the 4.10. What does it give me to re-gear it to 4.85?

I drive to Durango and Nebraska for fun (6 hour and 3 hour drives)..I'd be pulling a boat etc. Can I do this will all the re-gearing or is it one of those things where you have to pull your truck to have fun?

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you'll want a 87+ fuel injected one. Believe me, if you have the 4x4/K5 bug, the engine/frame and some of the body is all you'll end up keeping anyway.

The Klune-V is simply a gear reduction box that bolts between your transmission and your t-case. It has a high range (1:1) and a low range (there are a couple of ratios, 2.7 and 4.x I think). It is cable shifted and allows for clocking of the tcase behind it as well. Nifty unit, but there are several competitors on the horizon that might do the same thing for less $. You can also use two factory tcases (np 203 and np 205 usually) to get lower gearing. Plenty of tech info about doublers etc here on ck5, just have to search the forums.

Some people have toyed with the idea of running two trannys in front of a t-case. Its possible, but the input for a transmission really isn't designed to withstand engine torque that has been multiplied by another tranny. Manuals can have a gear ratio lower than 6:1... even if your 2nd tranny is designed to be used in a big block rig, it probably won't be able to handle it in the long term.

the 383 is a stroked 350SBC. A good engine in that its small/light like a 350, but is capable of stock 454-like torque numbers. I doubt one could argue that they would be reliable as a stock 454... but hey, what is. The 383 is a heck of an engine if built correctly.

j

11. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard Rich. :D

There is such a thing as duel transmissions but just not as common as what you probably meant dual transfer cases.

It looks like you found out about gear ratios in your axle differential, or sometimes refered to as the pumpkin. People put on lower gears, numerically higher to compensate for larger tires. Combine your differential gears with your transfer case gears, and finally multiply this by your transmission gears give you your crawl ratio.

35's and 4:10 gears are just fine, depending on your driving style of course. Regearing to 4.88's will give you more power or higher rpms. If you plan on doing a lot of highway driving don't go with a gear that is too low (numerically high). The regear can cost 250-500 per axle.

Jesse

12. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

the cost depends on the parts you use and who does it. i would say on average expect to spend about 500-600 if you have a shop do it. if your gonna be pulling a boat that has some weight to it, going to the lower gears, ie. 4.56 or 4.88 will give you better "pulling" power. in other words when you come up to a hill you wont "bog" or slow down..all though i'm not sure how many hills are in nebraska...

i used to have 3.73 ratio and pulled a 26 foot travel trailer, and it was a bear, it hated hills, slowed way down like 20 to 30mph slower. when i went to the 4.10s, i am able to ALMOST stay at 55mph, but i usually slow if its a long or steep hill. Now if i had 4.88s. not only would i be able to maintain 55mph up hill, most likely i would be able to go faster.

13. richmmiller

You guys are awesome!

Ok, so I actually looked up how 4 wheel drive works.....that's a lot of **** for my brain to take in I have to tell ya.

So 4.10 is fine, no need to go there. Dual transfer control case. Why?? Why do I need a dual transfercase?

Then......here is this. Lighting, I want lots and lots and lots and LOTS of lighting. However, I look online and I see lots of lighting that would not look right on a beast of a truck. Where do I go to look without breaking the bank? Speaking of beast, I have a coyote skull from the ****er I killed years ago, what do you think about me mounting it on the hood?

Pheasant season is starting in Colorado I can't wait to go!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the help boys, I'm happy to be a part! :D

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lower final crawl ratio, gives you more control in rocks/trails.

dumb question: why?

Procomp lights from 4wpw are cheap.

hillbilly... but it would add character. :thumb:

start searching... lots moree 2 learn. :)

j

15. richmmiller

Heh

Nice, that did make me laugh. Imagine, a network engineer pulling up to his work in the monster of a 4 wheel drive truck, lights a blazen, and skull of a yote on the hood. I jump out in my work gear...what's up fellas??

Thanks for your help everyone, I truly appreciate it.

One last time....

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

16. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I don't imagine it. I do it every day. Much to the chagrin of the rest of the nerdherd, I tell ya :haha:

-- A