Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Knee Injury/Surgery

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigburban383, Jun 25, 2004.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Do people fully recover if they go into knee surgery to fix ligaments?

I snapped my knee a couple days ago and had it checked with my family doctor, he thinks its a torn MCL (One of the ligaments that controls sideways movement). He reffered me to an Orthopedic surgeon to get it tested, MRI or something. I hope to play sports in the future and this is scaring me /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can fully recover from a torn MCL. Yes, you will always be at a higher risk of reinjuring it. In most cases, you can fulyl participate in athletics after a few weeks, maybe 6 weeks. Actual time varies greatly with your actual injury.

FYI, that stands for median collateral ligament.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I had a grade 2 sprain of my MCL in high school. Grade 3 is a complete tear. Mine was torn partially and stretched to the max.

I was put in a knee immobilizer for 5 weeks. It sucked but my knee is somewhat ok now. After 5-6 weeks start a rehab program on it. I played my final high school varisty football game 2 days after the immobilizer came off. (not the smartest idea, but I did it anyway)

I rehabbed the knee after football season threw strength training and flexibility work. It worked fine. I did notice I favor that knee more when doing leg workouts though. I went on to play a year of Division I college football at Colorado State University with no problems from the knee

So you know, when they immoblize your knee you will be dependent on the other knee. This will cause more stress on that knee. This will injure that knee. That is why most people who have hurt knees will tell you once you have one bad knee you have no more good knees. It is true.

My right ("good") knee has more range of motion then my left knee I injured but the ligament in my right knee are actually looser then the ligaments in my damaged knee.

You can make a "full" recovery but you will never totally be recovered. I get the phantom pain in the knee when the weather gets bad, and I favor it without even thinking of it. You body will just guard it more.

Unless the MCL is totally torn then the will most likely not do surgery. If they say it isn't torn and want to do surgery anyway get a second opinion.

I have been told by many knowledable people in the field that trying to sew the ligament back together is like trying to sew spaghetti together. It just doesn't work well.

If you plan on playing sports heavily in the future you might want to get yourself a knee brace molded that they use for ACL injuries. They brace they usually give for MCL injuries is a universal brace and won't hold up like a custom molded brace. Custom braces are $$$ though. Mine was $2200. If you don't have insurance that will cover it. It is well worth it though. The custom braces are 1000 times better then the generic MCL brace.

The key to an MCL injury is REHAB. If you don't you will have a much higher chance to reinjure it.

Harley

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I have one of those super cool new immobilizer braces, from when I blew my knee out, thing kicks butt. at least you can move around with this thing, if you want ti it's yours. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, I had one too. I donated it to my high school trainer that did my rehab and got me back to playing quicker.

The doctor made me immoble for 2 weeks at a 30* angle, then let me have range of motion from 30* knee bend to 90* knee bend. Then 30* to full knee bend (squat). Then after 5 weeks I got out of it. I could not fully extend my knee when I got out of it because the ligament healed so tightly. I had to stretch it out, and it took a couple hours to get used to full leg extension after that. Now my left (hurt) MCL is tighter then my right (non injured) MCL.

Harley