Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Knife sharpening help????

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by chevyfumes, Sep 15, 2006.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184606

Nevermind all the hi-jack. I really want to know what to look for in a blade as far as steel, I want something that I can sharpen enough to shave with...:confused:

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I don't know much about steel types for a good knife, but I am a good sharpener. The real key is to never let theknife get too dull. I carry a ceramic tube with me. These were used in an old school house wiring method called 'knob and tube', the tubes happen to make GREAT honing stones. Anyhow, a constant angle is important, as well as making an equal number of passes on each side of the blade. I sharpen my knives until they can shave the hair on my arm. Usually, on really dull knives, I use a three-stone set with soft, medium, and hard stones. The angle really depends on the angle the knife was originally sharpened, though most guides will tell you 30*. I put the knife on the stone, and then get my eye down there REALLY close so that I can tell when the honed edge of the blade is laying flat against the stone. Then I just make a mental note of the angle, and give three or four passes on the stone, then flip it over and od the other side. I continue this, alternating sides, until I have an edge I'm satisfied with. If you are using an oilstone, make sure to use oil. A wetstone, water. I also bought a Lanskey(sp) sharpening system,which works really well. And is practically stupid-proof.

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I need to get me one of them lansky sets. My dad has one of those, I always liked using it. Real fool proof.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Just got one of these I'll see if it works good for skinning this year...

[​IMG]
    I'm gonna take my buck knife in and have it sharpened, I had a pretty good edge on it the other night until my wife got ahold of it...:doah:

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I think you'd poke quite a few holes in your hide with that bad boy. It's better to have a bit of a rounded off point to it. Coming from you, I'm guessing that's a joke, but you could mislead some poor impressionable soul. The best thing I've EVER used for skinning and dressing a critter was Kershaw's "Alaskan Blade Trader". Mines done 3 elk and 2 deer without a sharpening. My dad had some wyoming knife with changeable blades that was decent too, but I haven't used anything that stacks up to this kershaw. You can get them at any Bi-Mart.
    [​IMG]

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

No I wasn't joking....:doah: Anybody know where I can get a folding scapel???:p: I wasn't concerned about the hide just yet, but after the abuse my knife took last year and the problem I had skinning...:doah: Of course I'm a No0b at this and thought , hey a cheap expendable replacment for some of the work involved...

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Rob, check your pm's :thumb:

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Got it,I'm just a cheap bastidge....

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Any high carbon steel should do the trick, IIRC. If you're just looking for something inexpensive that will sharpen well and serve you faithfully for skinning, the kershaw meets those requirements. Keep in mind, if you just want something that sharpens easily, you can get that, but it probably won't hold an edge as well. A blade that sharpens real easily will generally dull easily as well, one that holds an edge forever will be more challanging to sharpen. You can't have both, but you can get a happy medium. Materials are a bit of a trade off. Carbon will give it hardness, but will make it brittle and prone to rust. Chromium will make it corrosion resistant, but has some other drawback I forgot about. It's all a trade off. There's a little explanation on the crkt page about materials. http://www.crkt.com/steelfct.html

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Order one of these. Don't let anyone touch it and use it only for skinning. Hand wash (no dishasher) when done. Much better than that Lowes razor.

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

:saweet: :woot: The stone I'm using said water or oil,I'd been using water.I tried some oil today and I now have a bald spot on the back of my hand where the hair used to be...Then I straightened their edges with a ceramic rod. Both knives I take hunting are now sharp....:D

Thanks guys...

12. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status