Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Knock Knock.......who's there? crappy running engine! thats who!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by IDGMC, Mar 13, 2000.

1. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

Knock Knock.......who\'s there? crappy running engine! thats who!

Well i think i have a lifter that is knocking....I've adjusted the valves thinking that was the problem but it didn't help so maybe a lifter that is gunked up??? When it's cold i get a knock that increase with RPM....but will go away after awhile. But it will also occure when the engine is warm....sometimes! I don't know the origin of the motor, but it is only suppost to have like 30,000 miles on it, i'm guessing one of those discount autoparts stores rebuilds that reuses old camshafts and stuff if there in spec (engine was in when i bought it) So my question is should i spend a couple of hundred and put a new cam and lifter and timing chain in and see if that fixes the problem or do you guys thing its something else? Thanks for the help

2. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

Re: Knock Knock.......who\'s there? crappy running engine! thats who!

I would save the money(for now) and start by pulling the rocker arms and push rods and give them a good inspection, I've seen more than one push rod bent while someone was adjusting valves. Also take a look at the rocker studs. I think alittle time is better than alot of money.

3. cocky

cocky Registered Member

I heard if you add a quart of Automatic tranny fluid to your oil sometimes it will clean out a dirty lifter. Never done it but i don't think it will hurt your engine.

4. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

This Automatic transmission fluid craze is out of hand. You guys will add this "miracle fluid" to anything. So what do you put in the transmission?

or is this the secret ingredient in<font color=red> Marvelous Mistery Oil<font color=black>?

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

5. Catfish

Catfish Newbie

yes you are right. if you add a some atf fluid to the oil it will clean out any stuff that may be building up in the motor. how ever you should only run in the motor for a few hours then drain it. the best time would be right befor you change your oil.

6. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

so when you say a few hours do you mean like a constinant 2 hours or just run around town for awhile and then change the oil?

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Had the same noise on my 89. Stuck lifter. Stuck a bottle of motor honey in and it cleared it up. The ATF fluid thing is another good one. I had a buddy that did it on his old truck, stuck it in there, ran the thing for a couple of hours then drained the fluid. Took care of the problem. Be careful though about overfilling the thing. Get about a quart low then put it in there.

Kyle
    89K5

8. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

9 out of 10 times these additives are a temparary cover-up for a more serious problem. Take the time to find the root of the problem before you end up spending big $$$.

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Are you sure it's an internal problem? I once had a real sneaky exhaust leak that sounded like a lifter. Sometimes things are not what they appear. The fact that it happens less when warm might point to exhaust.

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I would prefer to spend $3 to see if that fixes the problem before dropping in $1500 on a rebuild. I used the additive about 15,000 miles ago... no problems. When the motor gives up, I'll fix it. Till then there is no point in rebuilding a motor or a topend for that matter when I can fix it with something else. If the additive hadn't worked then dang, I'm out $3 and now I'll pull it apart and fix it. I wasn't concerned about tearing anything up, the lifter has been ticking for a little while and if it was gonna break it already would have.

Kyle
    89K5

11. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

If it breaks on the trail your in for a hell of a trip! Better safe than sorry, looking for the problem does not cost you anything.

12. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Stuff breaking on the trail happens. If my motor has got problems, then I shouldn't have been out on the trail anyways. That, IMO, is disrespectful of others. If your truck may not complete the ride because of something you ALREADY knew was wrong. Then catch a ride with someone else and leave your rig at home. I looked for the problem, and after checking that seemed to be the best option for addressing it. If that hadn't of worked then I would have pulled the thing apart and gone that route. Like I said, 15,000 miles and still fixed. Tearing something down ain't always the best route.

MY $0.02

Kyle

13. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

I'm not saying you are wrong just trying to present a second school of thought. I do agree that if you know somthing is wrong you should leave it at home and catch a ride. I just wish everyone thought that way.