Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Knock Sensor and ESC Loc. on 89 V3500

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zcarczar, Dec 24, 2005.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Where is the ESC Module and Knock Sensor on an 89 V3500 with a TBI 454, I searched all over the thing today and cant find it anywhere.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

esc is part of the main computer. and knock sensor should be in oil pan rail on block or neer the oil filter area. i asume you knoiw what a knock sensor looks like? if not its round about like a 50cent piece and threads in to block. and has a round nipple for the clip over black wire bab that hold the wire.

3. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

If it is like my 88 454 TBI it may not have a knock sensor. I just rebuilt and installed the engine and there was no knock sensor on it. I went completely through the wiring harness also replacing connectors and there was no knock sensor wiring that I could find in the harness. Strange thing is though, that I got it started today and ran a scan on it and it was coming up with all kinds of numbers for knock on the scanner. I don't understand that as there is not a sensor on the engine.

Russ

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Hmm, I was looking through the harness and couldn't find it either. I have a sensor sitting here, I pulled the factory diagrams and they didnt say anything about some truck not having an ESC system, so I geuss I will need to ask the driveability tech at work Monday about this.

5. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

I am definitely curious about this if you get an answer. I really don't understand why I am getting knock numbers on a scanner without a knock sensor on the engine.

Russ

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Every 454 TBI that i have seen has no Knock Sensor.
    Not sure about you getting knock counts but i suspect that since the ECM is the same regardless of weather or not you have a KS installed from the factory, it would make sense that you are getting counts.

Keep in mind that on a truck that has a KS installed, you can put in a 3.9K Ohm resistor, and it will fool the ECM into thinking that everything is fine. With that setup you would still get knock counts, they would vary, but always remain inside the "normal" envelope.

7. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

same thing with my 88 V30 motor, no Knock sensor.