Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

knock sensor help!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hulk81, Feb 24, 2007.

1. hulk81

hulk81 Registered Member

:1zhelp: i just installed a reman 350 in a 1990 suburban i bought the burb with a bad motor now that i have the new one in it's backfiring in the intake:mad: timing is right i sure its the knock sensor but when i got the burb the knock sensor was not hook up and the wire is gone so now what. i think this is why it backfires when i give it gas so can i run a new wire and if so where does it go:confused:

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If the ECM doesn't "hear" from the knock sensor when it first fires up, it runs in limp mode. That also means that your engine won't be getting much timing at all, as it'll be a static value set in the limp chip set.

Since retarded timing does not = backfiring through the intake, I wouldn't be concerned with the EFI at this point, I'd be more concerned with making sure my cap / rotor is good, that the distributer is actually installed properly (not a tooth off), and that your wires are put on in the correct firing order (18436572).

If you don't find a problem there, make sure your valves are adjusted correctly, and that the timing chain hasn't slipped a tooth.

All that said, get your knock sensor figured out ASAP, its an essential peice of equipment that will make your truck run like crap... The wire that runs to it runs from the flat square module mounted just to the passenger side of the throttle body. It'll be blue in color. Make sure you get the correct knock sensor, and do yourself a favour and buy it from GM. The aftermarket units are crap more often than not, right out of the box.

3. detroitdiesel

detroitdiesel Newbie

when you set your timing did you unplug the single blackwire with black connector on your firewall right behind distributor cap, then set your timing with light, turn off engine , unhook the groung cable on battery ,wait about 30 seconds, plug wire ends back together then , re-attach ground lead? that resets ecm to zero value. i have had to do it in that sequence or the p\u's, surge and back fire and wont shift. on all '88-"95's. just a thought, detroitdiesel