Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

knocking out the old bearing races

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtynails, Dec 18, 2006.

1. dirtynails

dirtynails Registered Member

So what's the trick to knocking out the old inner and outer wheel bearing races? Do you just bang on them with a screw driver or is there a smarter way? And what about installing the new races? Any special tool?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

special tools..

I have a bearing/bushing driver and removal tool,but rarely use it!..I just use a brass punch and a hammer 90% of the time..sockets work too,if you find one fits close enough..after installing new races,be sure to torque the wheel bearing nuts fairly tight,while spinning the wheel,to ensure they "seat" fully--then adjust them in the usual way..:crazy:

3. lurtch-k20-(78-90)

lurtch-k20-(78-90) Registered Member

as far a "special" tool, you could use a punch and drive out the old and drive in the new. or use the old races to drive on the new races, or get set of bearing drivers (a whole buncha (~60)round disk 1/2 thick and OD.s from about .5 to 4.5) I use a 1 x 12 inch copper rod to drive out old races and use the old races and rod to drive in the new ones.

4. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

these guys got it covered, a long punch is nice to knock them out and a bearing race installation tool is good to put them in, if you dont have access, a piece of bronze or brass cut into a drift punch will work (softer metal than the race)

5. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

If the race is all that is left you can weld on the inside of the race, run a bead all the way around and it will fall out. By welding it you are making it shrink, thus being smaller and falling out.

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You just couldn't resist the temptation to pimp your goods, could you, Robert....... :rotfl: :rotfl: :waytogo:

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

On the not-quite press fit races, yeah drift them out with just about anything, but here's a trick for installing the new ones. Sorry Robert, built, not bought.
    If you have any disc type cutter, or plasma(wow), cut through the old race, inner or outer as the case may be. Then it becomes a spring instead of a fixed diameter hoop. Butt your new tool against the new race and tap around and around, just like you used to do with a screwdriver and bugger-up the race, only now the new race is protected. You can tell by the sound when the new race is fully seated. Then just pop-out the "tool" (old cut race).:D

9. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

Also, make sure you throw your races/seals in the freezer for an hour or two before installing... they shrink just enough to make it easy

10. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

And stuck the hub in the oven to make it warm so it expands! Although, not the oven you eat out of:doah:

11. rdn2blazer

YOU GOT IT BABY!!!!!!!!!!:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: take a look at my I trader and you will see the light my friend. everybody could use one of these, even the womens out there from what jek says LOL!! :haha:

12. rdn2blazer

thats how my tool came to be, I built it for me, now I just share the love with my fellow ck5ers :D