Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

knocking type sound

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scrappyk5, Apr 22, 2002.

1. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

hey , i was getting freaked out starting saturday morning when i pulled up to a light and heard a faint
    knocking sound. i popped the hood , and i was relieved to hear that its actually coming from either
    the powersteering pump or compressor. i cant tell which though . anyone have any ideas?

on a positive note. i went down to n.c. this weeekend and picked up my s15 truck that had a tranny
    blowout. towed it with a car dolly and my k5, 250 miles , no problem.

2. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

you can always use a long dowl rod or peice of wood, screw driver, etc and hold it on the component that you suspect to be making the sound and hold the other end to your ear. works like putting your ear down to train tracks. you should be able to isolate the knock that way. or buy a mechanics stethascope(sp). good luck

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Does the knock go away when you rev it up? If it does, then I'd be scared. Try taking the belt off one or the other to isolate the problem.

4. NoShow84

NoShow84 Registered Member

I had a problem like that; thought it was my power steering pump come to find out what it was, was my hormonic balance had split in to two part. look at that, that might be it and it might not be it

5. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I like to use a long peice of heater hose to isolate the noise. Same idea as Blue Meanie, but different equipment. Seems to work a little better for me.

6. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Maybe it's an exhaust leak. Sometimes when they leak there at the head it sounds like a knocking sound.

7. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

thanks guys , well the knock did go away when i reved it , but it would come back. i also thought that it
    might be the engine , but it a spuratic knock , which means its not a constant beat. also this morning, it
    was gone. maybe the dampness in the air caused it , cause it was raining. dont know , but i am putting
    all new belts on this weekend becouse they are needed . if the sound is there again , i will see then , but
    if not , i guess i will have to wait till whatever it is breaks.

8. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

If it's a spuratic sound like a rock dancing around in the engine check the tork converter bolts. Don't drive it untill you rule these bolts out cuz if it is these and you shear the bolt head(s) off you'll really be hating life.

9. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

mine made that noise.. then i found out my BBC was toasted...

Good Luck...