Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Knocking under truck.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hektyk, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

Well I drove to the store earlier and I noticed when i turn my steering wheel thes a pop. The pop is only at a certain point left or right. I got under the truck and noticed wehen it pops the steering mech is moving the little cylinder thing. I guess its a hydro steering pump or something. Also the part that comes out of it and connects to my front left wheel looks like it's about to fall off. It looks loose. Does anyone know what this could be? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it is time for new ends.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about the steering stabilizer shock? I was having weird steering problems a long time ago and replaced the steering stabilzer with a H.D. unit. My problems went away. The stabilizer I pulled out had no dampening resistance at all except for the buildup of crud on the shaft. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Okay, I'm gonna try and decipher your question. But PLEASE do a little research in the near future and learn the names of your front end parts, okay!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

The pitman arm is attached to your steering box. The drag link is connected on one end to the pitman arm and is attached on the other end to the steering arm which is bolted to the top of the front axle on the driver's side. The tie rod is attached to the front of the axle and is connected to the same place on the passenger side of the axle. Your steering stabilizer is attached to your axle and your tie rod and looks like a shock.

So which of these parts is causing the problem?

5. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay, I'm gonna try and decipher your question. But PLEASE do a little research in the near future and learn the names of your front end parts, okay!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

The pitman arm is attached to your steering box. The drag link is connected on one end to the pitman arm and is attached on the other end to the steering arm which is bolted to the top of the front axle on the driver's side. The tie rod is attached to the front of the axle and is connected to the same place on the passenger side of the axle. Your steering stabilizer is attached to your axle and your tie rod and looks like a shock.

So which of these parts is causing the problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK The part I am talking about is mounted to the frame and sits about 1 foot in front of the shocks. It's a cylinder. It looks like a hydraulic mechanism. When you turn the steering wheel it turns a shaft that goes through the cylinder thing and connects to the tie rod to turn the wheel. The cylinder thing is jerking. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You still have a way to go on your descriptions, brother, but all I can think is that your steering stabilizer is loose. It's the only "hydraulic mechanism" up there on a stocker.

Your truck is stock, right? The way you're explaiining it sounds like you might have a hydraulic-assist system installed on your truck.........

Let's try this: Are there any hoses or lines attached to said hydraulic mechanism? If not, get under there and tighten up the bolts that secure your steering stabilizer in place.

Now to lesson #2: PLEASE GO BUY A K5 MANUAL. It really helps us when you can accurately describe a part. I'm not trying to be rude, but you have to be willing to do a little background work yourself, OK??? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

it sound's to me like he may be talking about the sector /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    and the sector is lose or frame cracked. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

but very vag..

dave

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    : PLEASE GO BUY A K5 MANUAL.

[/ QUOTE ]

best $20 bucks I ever spent- only 2nd to the ck5 membership!

Brandy

9. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

My guess is he's talking about the steering box.Sounds like it's loose or the frame is cracked.Either way this isn't something to be driveing around with it happening.Get someone with a little mech.knowledge to check it soon.If it fails you have no steering control.

10. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

Sorry guys, yall are right. I kinda went at this thing half assed. Next time I will at least know the parts name. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif But It's cool I think what canmorek5 was right about the hydro assisted steering. I'm pretty sure that it is just loose and thats why it is popping. Thanks for the help fellas. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif