Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Know a good contractor?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by MJF, Jul 27, 2004.

1. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for referrals for a good, affordable contractor to do a small scale remodel. Anyone in the bay area had a contractor do you right & wanna pass along some business to them?

My remodel will be very small. Push a wall out, ~100sqft, & change our entry a litle bit. After that's complete, we have to do the big stuff like the roof. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    good, affordable contractor

[/ QUOTE ] oxymoron.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    a good, affordable contractor.....in the bay area

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif yer funny! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Ok how about an ok, somewhat overpriced, but not through the roof contractor /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Or am I stuck with lousy, overpriced, take your money & never to be heard from again contractor? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

If only you were closer, me and 4xrick could get that done for ya easy, and at an affordable price...and cause your a member would even give ya a better warranty than the standard "tail light" warranty /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    "tail light" warranty

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

ya I am a liscened,bonded and insured contractor but I dont think it is really worth me coming all that way for a little remodeling. but if anyone around here needs anything done keep it in mind.

8. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

oh ya and rob that is not an oxymoron you might have delt with some f'd up contractors but that dosent mean they all are. most people think all mechanics are assholes too but the truth is it takes alot to do what they do or what i do so in my opinion you can shove that statement.

9. coreyd

coreyd Registered Member

Mengel Cons 650-367-9331

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifI just had a house built so I'm a little bias right now..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

hey I understand that it is just if people really knew all the detail that goes into what we do they would understand that it isnt easy and materials alone have almost doubled in price in the last 2 years, it is hard work and i would dare anyone who thinks is not expessially anyone who sits behind a desk all day to try it plus it is defenatly not cheap for the insurance and everything else when you have a insurance polacy that has to cover a million dollars for a contractor you would shoit when you see how much it costs. but anyway on a better note no hard feelings I understand some contractors are asses and will try to scam you but that dosent mean we are all that way but you must admit just about everyone out there is trying to make a buck the easest way they can, myself I am just trying to get by and keep my empoyees paid too.

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    myself I am just trying to get by and keep my empoyees paid too.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif My hat is off to you sir. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif I did the contractor bit for awhile. I got tired of the "feast or famine" way of it and got out. It's hard to strike the right balance unless you have a person or two dedicated to getting you business and then a GOOD crew to make sure it gets done. And that ONLY works if the sales/bidders aren't cutting it too close or flat out undercutting just to get work. I can't tell you haw many times we lost $$ on a job because our bidder was "trying to keep the hammers swinging". There's only so much $$ you can save by reducing scrap and waste and being efficient with your materials./forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif He always figured he'd be able to make it up on the next job. Problem was that he never friggin "made it up"! Stoopid idjit /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Anyway, that's why we're no longer business partners. I got tired of it and took a desk job... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

The contractor himself was actually pretty decent to work with I just had trouble with the subs he chose...concrete guys, idiot, drywall, idiots, painters, idiots, electritians hooked one of my 110 plugs to 220( I had a real fast running refridgerater for a few seconds)idiots,plumbers only had to install 3 water heaters because they kicked so much gravel in the line idiots,hardwood floor guy, I won't even go there and the guys who did the gas and cooling /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gifI'm supprised I'm not dead from co2, so yeah the minor problems we had with just the contractor alone was almost nil... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifI'm just glad I didn't have my car in the shop with one of those dirty filthy ,lyin' cheatin' mechanics at the same time, might have popped a blood vessle... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The contractor himself was actually pretty decent to work with I just had trouble with the subs he chose...concrete guys, idiot, drywall, idiots, painters, idiots, electritians hooked one of my 110 plugs to 220( I had a real fast running refridgerater for a few seconds)idiots,plumbers only had to install 3 water heaters because they kicked so much gravel in the line idiots,hardwood floor guy, I won't even go there and the guys who did the gas and cooling I'm supprised I'm not dead from co2, so yeah the minor problems we had with just the contractor alone was almost nil... I'm just glad I didn't have my car in the shop with one of those dirty filthy ,lyin' cheatin' mechanics at the same time, might have popped a blood vessle...

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the bright side..at least I wasn't the one who wired your house! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifNow that I got the bench built and the shop cleaned up, you'll have to come over and we'll finish tearing into it to REALLY see what happened.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifOh yeah hijack.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

16. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah hijack.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

17. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif