Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Knowledge starting pt.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Apr 10, 2000.

Hey everybody. I've gotta mildy embarassing question. I need a good starting point for the real basics. For instance, I really need to run a compression test and have no damn clue. If I invest in a Helm service manual is it gonna help or do I need to go simpler/more general than that?

Thanks, and please don't kick me outta the clubhouse!

1. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Head to the library and start reading past issues of magazines. Start with the 4x4 rags and Hot Rod. This will do one of two things for you. Confuse you or get you asking more questions. Might want to consider finding a friendly machine shop. Some of these guys are incredible! 'Course you've taken the first step here...

Why do you feel the need for a compression check?

Good luck.

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Get a Chiltons manual from a parts store that cover the basics of automobile repairs and work your way up . They will break down what tests will do for diagnosing engine problems . They aren't any good for major repairs .

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I have a Haynes and Chilton manual, I find that what one doesn't cover the other usually does.
    now, to do a compression test remove all plugs, hook up a GOOD compresssion tester, crank the engine for 5 seconds and record the compression. there should be less than 10 PSI difference between any of the cylinders. if there is more than 15 lbs difference pull the tester, and put oil in the cylinder. if the compression goes up on the next test then your rings are more worn in that cylinder than the others, if the compression doesn't change, then your valves are leaking air.
    Before you do the test run the upper engine cleaner to make sure that the carbon buildup is removed from your valves.
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Go back to page 26 and start reading all the posts, many of which has very good information....[​IMG]

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Mechanics Grim style. A novel.

Well ANY service manual is a start even if it's not complete. Most have a introduction section that will explain the basics. Start with the basics and work your way up. No point in knowing how FI works if you don't understand a compression stroke. Thats the problem with most of these young mechanics today. They don't understand the basics. If the computer diagnostic machine can't tell them whats wrong they don't know what to do. Stick a carberator in front of them and you will find out how little they really do know. If you break things down into action/reaction then you can understand how one part effects the next. Once you understand that its all a chain of events then you can become a decent mechanic. The real skill to learn is how to relate a symptom back the the part or device that is failing.
    All engines can be related to each other There have been very few changes in the past 100 years as to how an internal combustion engine works. The only engine that is really different than all the rest is the Wankle Rotory. But even it can be related to a piston engine if you look at the individual parts and have that basic understanding of HOW an engine makes it's power.
    Never be afraid to ask a question either. No crime in not knowing. The real crime in not knowing is not seaking out the knowledge and trying to gain understanding and being able to file it away in your mental library so that next time you do know.
    One of the best thing I like about this board and a few others is there are some people here that really know what they are doing. They really understand Mechanics. The funny thing is there are very few people here that do it as a living and most of them know more than the average jerk at the dealer service department.
    The ABSOLUTE Best thing is these people are willing to share their knowledge and experiance to anybody who is willing to take the time to ask. Whenever you do ask a question you need to understand that you use the answers as a starting point. You may sometimes get a wrong answer. Sombody may have delt with something very simular to what you are dealing with and offered up what they had found and it not really be an answer to your problem but it will help you rule out that issue and get you closer to solving your problem.
    My final advice here is learn how to ask a question. Yeah you read that right. "My Truck won't start" is not a good question. Any body who reads that is going to be...ok...is it turning over? Does it catch and then stall? ect. A lot left to know here. If you ask it like this. "My truck will crank but it doesnt start. Its an 87 K5. I have checked and I do seem to have spark". Ok now we know you already checked to see if the ignition was working. We know the truck is turning over. If we know our K5's we also know this truck has FI. Just that little bit of Knowledge that was share narrowed the problem down by 90%. Every bit of information you can give will narrow down the problem and help us understand what you having a problem with. So nobody is posting WOB information that is not needed like...check your solinoid. Check you battery connection, Check for spark Adjust the canooter valve and install new muffler bearings and make sure the hydrostaic reduction coil is oscilating as 60hz. Questions like "My truck won't start"...They get passed over by a good many of us because if you can't take the time to explain "Wont Start" there is to much that it can be and not worth the carple tunnel for us to tell you all it can be thats wrong.
    Ok one last thing and I'll quit sucking up drive space. Learn to take advice. Many of us have been to the school of hard knocks here. When sombody says "While your at it you really should do this...". Basicly they are passing on that they have already done what your asking about and they are trying to save you a bunch of frustration. Here is an example. Replacing front ball joints your going to have to pull the axle shafts. Well when you pull them if you truck is 20 years old and has the original inner axle seals you can pretty well bank on them failing. They are old and hard and you just distorted them and dragged the splines over them. They will leak it's just about a given. Yeah it's a bunch of extra work to replace them but you already have half that work done if you you replace the parts now you not going to be pulling it all apart again in 2 weeks.
    Last thing... I SWEAR!
    Learn to cuss....................Ponder it a little longer then scroll down.

Ok now I will explain. Throwing a fit or worse throwing a tool is a waste of energy and possibly a tool if you just sent that tool through a sheet rock wall into your wifes dinning room or worse yet it bounced back and put a dent in a car. You are going to get mad sometimes. Things will break and your going to get frustrated. Cuss. If you got kids or old neighbors cuss under your breath. Then walk away and get a drink or smoke some crakwhat ever it takes for you to relax and clear you mind. Take that time to sort the problem out in your head and give it a clean or new try after you calm down.
    Ok...I'm done.
    THE END

Advice is free...How you profit from it is up to you.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

6. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

grim, you should write a book on this crap, man......

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

7. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

fOR x-MASS
    i got Popular Mechanics Cd Rom Repair Manual
    i have yet to use it / but its on sale
    in the Whitney cat for $17.00
    couldn't hurt...

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

DANG GRIM.

I kid you not, I'm gonna lock you in a room with a frigging word processor and just tap all the stuff you got stored up there. That has to be the best advice I've heard for a lot of things, not just working on your rig.

Thanks.

Kyle
    89K5

9. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Well j-man I believe you have what you want.

Grim, great job...you 'da man!

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Wow, now that's quality advice. I suggest Steve put that post in the FAQ section of the forum... heck why not in the welcome email you get when you sign up here.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

11. Grim-Reaper

Was a slow day at work :) Now if I could take my own advice sometime hahaha.

Grim-Reaper

12. Re: Mechanics Grim style. A novel.

Thanks a lot everybody, especially Grim. I will definitely take everyone's advice!
    Thanks for helping out a beginner!

13. Grim-Reaper

No problem man. We all started somewhere. I started when I was 5. My mom has pictures of me helping my dad work on his Porsche. I guess I'm lucky..I have a natural tendancy that I can figure out mechanical stuff if I can put my hands on it. Every thing I know I learned by taking it appart and reading books. Personaly I like working on my own vehicles. It gives me some good feelings when I get good results and it also saves me a ton of money. Heck I just bought a 89 Supra with a blown engine and had it replaced in 2 weeks. I have $2500 in the car and the lot I got it off has already offered me $4k for it :) god I love a deal. I only paid a Dollar for my last K5 :) There is a pic of it in the photo section on this site Eric Hummel's 75.
    Grim AKA Eric
    Like I was saying...The people here are great. If you have a problem they will help you with it.

Grim-Reaper

14. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

i think Grim should be presented with an award for best post response ever........MAN, DO YOU RULE!!!!!!!!!! I can honestly say that, if everyone had your attitude regarding helping others, the world would run a lot smoother!