Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Knuckle X-over Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az88k5, Apr 11, 2005.

1. az88k5

az88k5 1/2 ton status

I recenly picked up a 74' dana 44 3/4 ton axle with flat top knuckles. I will be rebuilding the entire axle with crossover steering. I think I'm going with ORD kit. I have removed everything except the knuckles. Last thing I did was remove steering arm. I was wondering if I should or have to remove the 3 studs that orignally held the steering arm on the driver side knuckle. Sence ORD kit is not high steer crossover, nothing bolts up to this driver side knuckle top. I would think you would want to remove these studs if it is not high crossover and would want to leave them it it was high x-over. Am I right?

Also why doesn't ORD make a high cross over steering kit and some others do. When they have a high x-over kit for the dana 60. Is there a reason they doen't make one for the dana 44. Just thought I'd ask.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Leave those studs in place. They don't hurt anything. Also should something in the crossover steering system fail you can use those studs to save your butt.

If you carry the stock steering arm with you along with the stock draglink you can convert your truck back to stock steering if you needed. I did it once when my crossover system failed. You take the pitman arm off the steering box and turn it 90*. Then you reinstall the stock steering arm and stock draglink. Adjust the draglink to the right length and you can drive home.

Or you can carry the tools to replace steering studs if they fail. Power invertor (or OBA). Drill, drill bits, EZ outs, and spare steering arm studs.

I am anal so I carry both.

Harley

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Check out sky's new arms. Major beef. They make a lot of nice products.

As for removing the studs, you don't have to. Leave them in as spares for now.

4. az88k5

az88k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys for the tips.

Chris