Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ko Fords guys HELP!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by justhorsinaround, Nov 25, 2003.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

My brother-in-law's Ranger (1992 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive) is overheating. We replaced the water pump (cuz it was leakin), the radiator (cuz it sprang a leak after we replaced the water pump) and the thermostat. The upper radiator is pretty much rock solid when the truck is fixin to overheat and the overflow tank is full.
    What gives?? I am completely at a loss and am probably overlookin somethin simple. Could one of y'all tell me what bonehead move I'm makin or what not? Thanks in advance.

Allan

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

sounds like the therostat might be bad.people used to check them by putting them in a pan and boiling water to see if it opened. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

replace the thermostat, when you take the old one out, fill the block with coolant, that will help to eliminate any major air pockets..

4. boggerless

WHAT, CONFEDNECK responding to a ford post??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif just kidding /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Confedneck

lmao but of course, i do work on them every day.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

It has a 4 hour old thermostat in it already and no joy. It's like the water just can't get through the motor. The water pump is doin it's job I'm thinkin cuz like I said the hose is hard as a rock. Oh yea the heater doesn't blow hot air at all. Thanks again in advance.

Allan

7. Confedneck

sounds like its air locked, pull the heater hose off the motor and fill it, fill the heater core, fill the block behind the t-stat and try again.

8. boggerless

CONFEDNECK you think he could run it half capped(i.e. radiater cap somewhat open,till it bleeds itself)? let the air go somewhere. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Buy a thermostat with a check valve or drill a tiny hole in yours so it can't airlock. Next time don't buy a cheap thermostat. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Confedneck

he could let the truck run and get up to operating temps and try bleeding the air out by cracking the cap carefully and refilling as the air comes out..

11. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    sounds like its air locked, pull the heater hose off the motor and fill it, fill the heater core, fill the block behind the t-stat and try again.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you nailed got a up date for us

12. boggerless

that's what i thought.i've had to bleed power steering on a mack and that was a beeeaatch.maybe the same thing. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif